Do I need an attorney? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck has been at a California shop for over a year and 6 months now on an Califirnia legal engine conversion. Shop continues to push out the completion date. Claiming they have too much work and miss management on their part. We had agreed on a 4 month completion date. They continue to take on work pushing my truck out to work on new builds. I'm ready to pay the remaining balance once they are done. I already paid for parts, but agreed to pay labor balance once build is complete. Starting to hear many horror stories from other clients that had work done at the same shop. One guys has the exact same issue as me. An agreed 4 month turnaround from the shop and now almost 2 years in. If I pull my truck out, i will be stuck with a half completed build. Don't think too many shops would take this build on, especially since they all seem to be connected one way or another. And even if they did, I would have to wait another 15 months before they would even consider looking at it. Does anyone know of a California based lawyer in Northern California that would take this case? Do I have a case? Maybe small claims?? And even then, max one can get is about 3 to 5 grand back if I win...I think. Reached out to the BAR, and they were not much help. All they could do was to visit the shop and document. They can't release any real details unless they are requested through the courts. Any advise will help.

My truck has been at a California shop for over a year and 6 months now on an Califirnia legal engine conversion. Shop continues to push out the completion date. Claiming they have too much work and miss management on their part. We had agreed on a 4 month completion date. They continue to take on work pushing my truck out to work on new builds. I'm ready to pay the remaining balance once they are done. I already paid for parts, but agreed to pay labor balance once build is complete. Starting to hear many horror stories from other clients that had work done at the same shop. One guys has the exact same issue as me. An agreed 4 month turnaround from the shop and now almost 2 years in. If I pull my truck out, i will be stuck with a half completed build. Don't think too many shops would take this build on, especially since they all seem to be connected one way or another. And even if they did, I would have to wait another 15 months before they would even consider looking at it. Does anyone know of a California based lawyer in Northern California that would take this case? Do I have a case? Maybe small claims?? And even then, max one can get is about 3 to 5 grand back if I win...I think. Reached out to the BAR, and they were not much help. All they could do was to visit the shop and document. They can't release any real details unless they are requested through the courts. Any advise will help.
I'm not sure what the small claim limits are in CA, but your best bet may be to go to small claims for the maximum allowed to recoup some of your $ and shop around for another shop. I'm not sure what shop you have your truck at, but Valley Hybrids and Mudrack are NorCal(ish), but are busy shops and likely have decent lead times on projects.
One thing to do though is get photos of your rig now, a complete inventory of parts purchased (with photos of those items on or in your vehicle), and a current timeline of your build. Things tend to go "missing" when people take their business out of a shop.

I'm not sure what the small claim limits are in CA, but your best bet may be to go to small claims for the maximum allowed to recoup some of your $ and shop around for another shop. I'm not sure what shop you have your truck at, but Valley Hybrids and Mudrack are NorCal(ish), but are busy shops and likely have decent lead times on projects.
One thing to do though is get photos of your rig now, a complete inventory of parts purchased (with photos of those items on or in your vehicle), and a current timeline of your build. Things tend to go "missing" when people take their business out of a shop.
Valley Hybrids was my first choice, but at the time when I was searching for a shop they had an 15 wait. Funny thing is, if I would have waited for them, I would have my rig by now.
Thanks for the input.

What is their reasoning for taking on new projects and pushing yours to the back, if yours has been there longer? I'd like to hear their reasons.

You went to them face to face and asked WTH is going on?
They are claiming "miss management, rapid growth and new jobs to keep the cash flow." I have this all documented. I should have a good case if I take this to court. They even replied stating my constant email and calling slowed them down on my build. Again, all on emails.

They are claiming "miss management, rapid growth and new jobs to keep the cash flow." I have this all documented. I should have a good case if I take this to court. They even replied stating my constant email and calling slowed them down on my build. Again, all on emails.
I have the BAR involved. They are documenting all pictures and their visits.

I think you need to go see them and remove your vehicle and come to an agreement on cost to date. Obviously some labour costs have gone into it, but they are not going to get what they want and neither are you. Needs to be an honest discussion. Lawyers will only make it worse with costs.

Show up with a trailer to take it away and two friends, winch to get it on to trailer an all. Tell them ahead of time you are coming so it isn't buried in the shop.

Best case scenario is they re-commit to completing it in a month or less. But I would wait longer. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom