Do I have an A440F or A442F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting mixed info on which transmission my 1992 JDM (RHD) Land Cruiser has. The engine compartment plate says A440F while the filter and solenoids are for the A442F. Would Toyota put an A442F in a cruiser yet stamp A440F on the info plate?

trans_sn.jpg

eng_plate.jpg

Isn't the A440F fully hydraulic and the A442F has the solenoids? Is there an OD button on the shifter?

Isn't the A440F fully hydraulic and the A442F has the solenoids? Is there an OD button on the shifter?
Yes, it has an OD button on the shifter and solenoids.

see this discussion. apparently some 7o's had a VIN saying 440 but had 442's installed. Sounds like you have a 442F electronic version. That's a good thing.

see this discussion. apparently some 7o's had a VIN saying 440 but had 442's installed. Sounds like you have a 442F electronic version. That's a good thing.
Thanks for that! I assume if I have an ECT button, it's the electronic version. I've been dealing with overheating of the transmission for the last few months and thought if I changed out the solenoids it might help.

Thanks for that! I assume if I have an ECT button, it's the electronic version. I've been dealing with overheating of the transmission for the last few months and thought if I changed out the solenoids it might help.
If it's shifting normally the solenoids are probably OK. Don't think that would cause overheating. Check on MUD for overheating issues. The first thing is to assume a the trans cooler is not doing it's job.

Have one of these oddballs too. Frame # says its an A440, but it's certainly an A442. OD, ECT, solenoids, no sign of a swap. @Blomdala has one as well and found reference in the book, "70 Series - The Worlds Workhorse". Reports that there may be some minor differences in castings from our early ones to when they are officially the 442. Totes a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom