do I have a PTO gear? (pic) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to pull the trigger on a PTO winch but should probably sure I have a PTO gear. Here is what's under my cover - that gear doesnt appear to mesh with anything in the case... I'm assuming thats the PTO gear?

EDIT:

Also, it was suggested to me that driveline mods were all that was needed to put a 60 series PTO winch on a 40, but looking at the EPC it looks like the bracketry is a bit different (beyond the frame width difference.

So what are the full scope of the differences? How about the shifter and such?
IMG_4904-800.jpg

Last edited:
No Looks like the kit to mate 4 speed trans with older 3 speed trans-transfercase . Spacer is used in place of the PTO gear. If you want to use PTO you can get PTO gear with the correct spline count from SOR

My primary experience is with later split cases, but I know that narrow gear you see there that is not engaging anything now is the PTO gear. The spacer to the left is between the primary t-case input gear and the PTO gear.

No Looks like the kit to mate 4 speed trans with older 3 speed trans-transfercase . Spacer is used in place of the PTO gear. If you want to use PTO you can get PTO gear with the correct spline count from SOR
WTF :confused:

that narrow gear you see there that is not engaging anything now is the PTO gear. The spacer to the left is between the primary t-case input gear and the PTO gear.

X2! :wrench:

That looks like the PTO gear to me! 60 series winch will work, and the PTO output box should mate up, but the driveshafts will need some effort to make them fit. The 60 series has a 2-piece driveshaft, while the 40 (and 70) series has a 3 piece driveshaft. You may have to enlarge the hole through the front crossmember to get the alignment to work, and you're also likely to have trouble running it past the exhaust and steering...

That looks like the PTO gear to me! 60 series winch will work, and the PTO output box should mate up, but the driveshafts will need some effort to make them fit. The 60 series has a 2-piece driveshaft, while the 40 (and 70) series has a 3 piece driveshaft. You may have to enlarge the hole through the front crossmember to get the alignment to work, and you're also likely to have trouble running it past the exhaust and steering...

I have a RHD with a 3B, so steering and exhaust are on the other side of the truck. Still, I guess I underestimated the DS fun - I thought it was just going to be a lengthen/shorten kinda deal. Are there any pics around anywhere?

With plenty of room to play with - it may not be too hard. You will probably have to shorten one of the shafts - but I'd suggest trying to fit the driveshafts before you mount the winch - you may be able to make it line up by mounting the winch slightly off-centre to align the driveshaft with the winch flange.

Hi.. I have some plans to mount a hydraulik pump on the PTO
and a hydraulik winch in the front and some fixtures to mount a snow plow .... youst to make it more fun to clear the yard:)

And yes it is the gear to the PTO..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom