Do Any Toyota Dealers Offer Lifetime Powertrain Warranties, Nationwide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do Any Toyota Dealers Offer Lifetime Powertrain Warranties, Nationwide?

I have found two with "lifetime" (limited), but only for service at that dealer.
Since I have only recently started looking at the brand, was just curious?

Thank you--

WWD

No. It is a local thing. My dealer offers lifetime powertrain warranty...but ONLY at that dealer.

The lifetime warranty is not as good as you think...for example, at 150k miles, your Toyota engine explodes. Since the engine replacement & labor cost more than the vehicle itself (for example), your “lifetime” warranty will just give you a check for your "totaled" Toyota. They have no incentive to fix your car. So, lifetime warranty does not mean that they will keep fixing your Toyota forever...once the cost of repair exceeds the resale/residual value of your car, they just total your car and give you a check. (And no, you do not get to keep your car once they hand you the check.)

Last edited:
Do Any Toyota Dealers Offer Lifetime Powertrain Warranties, Nationwide?

I have found two with "lifetime" (limited), but only for service at that dealer.
Since I have only recently started looking at the brand, was just curious?

Thank you--

WWD

As you can imagine, the devil is in the details.

Keep in mind the term “warranty” implies “free”. VSA/VSC (vehicle service contract/agreement) is charged in premiums (not free)

Toyota Extra Care Platinum (Toyota Financial Services OEM VSA) does not offer coverage past 125k (comprehensive or powertrain). However, that doesn’t mean that aftermartket/third party VSAs or reinsured ancillary products (such as a lifetime powertrain warranties) don’t exist period. Since the dealer ultimately wants to retain you as a “customer for life” they(/we) try to come up with creative ways to achieve that end-goal, such as offering free (limited) “lifetime” warranties.

There may be “catches” — there may not be. No one can say definitively because there are literally thousands of such financial products on the market that are “custom” to the dealers likings. I would say it’s a given that it’s not going to be transferable past the original owner. Another given is that it must be serviced to the tee per Toyota’s service schedule (duh). The most important question is “can it be serviced at a dealer other than the one your buying it from. If so, does that include batteries, tires, etc.?

To answer OP question as best as I can for my dealership [Ed Martin Toyota’s (EMT)]

We offer a limited lifetime warranty (powertrain) for unlimited years/miles as long as you are the owner AND the vehicle is serviced regularly per Toyota (not necessarily at our dealership however).

Ours is NOT included free with each car sale, instead it is included if/when the customer buys our aftermarket VSA (I.e. 8yr/120k mile comprehensive VSA) then they get the limited lifetime warranty for free as a rider-addendum contract to the VSA.

Clear as mud?

There's a big dealer group here in Houston that advertises heavily as "Home of the Lifetime Warranty." I don't think they do Toyota in the group, but they were a Volvo dealer and I remembered reading through the literature while I was waiting on a service for ours (that we didn't purchase there) and it was a terrible deal. The warranty was essentially voided if you didn't do ever-single-thing that they recommended. "Intake service" where they wipe down the throttle body for $300? Can't say no. "Flush the injectors" for $195? Gotta sign up. I don't know if it went so far as saying you had to replace the windshield wipers with theirs, but it was over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom