DLC Member Introduction Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Andy
Birmingham
Attorney

Recently took the plunge and became a cruiserhead after admiring them for years. I now have a 40th Ann 1997 80 series as my daily driver. It has lockers, but I plan to keep it on the highway for the most part for now. Look forward to meeting you all once we are allowed to have meetings again.

View attachment 2279977
Welcome Andy, that looks like a super clean 40th anniversary you have. There's another Andy in our club who's an attorney and has a black 80.

Welcome Andy, that looks like a super clean 40th anniversary you have. There's another Andy in our club who's an attorney and has a black 80.
Thank you. It is in really good shape - well taken care of and spent most of its life in Nevada. I’ve enjoyed spotting other 80s around the area - there are quite a few.

Thank you. It is in really good shape - well taken care of and spent most of its life in Nevada. I’ve enjoyed spotting other 80s around the area - there are quite a few.
There’s tons of Cruisers around Birmingham, it’s pretty crazy. How many miles are on your 80? Do you have any plans for it?

There’s tons of Cruisers around Birmingham, it’s pretty crazy. How many miles are on your 80? Do you have any plans for it?

only 132k.

I plan to use it as a daily driver for now and keep it stock. I know that’s boring, but it is basically OEM right now other than the stereo. Maybe one day in the future I’ll turn it into more of an overlander.

only 132k.

I plan to use it as a daily driver for now and keep it stock. I know that’s boring, but it is basically OEM right now other than the stereo. Maybe one day in the future I’ll turn it into more of an overlander.
Check out Rosh's @BamaBreeze 80. sounds like what you are wanting to do. Nicely equipped DD 80

Richard
Retired Engineer
Huntsville

Looking for a 120 right now. Owned and worked on plenty of 4x4s in the past - Early Bronco, Chevy 1/2 ton, CJ5, CJ7, S10 and F250 Diesel. Goal is to have a 120 that can go off-road when needed.

Jake
Gardendale, but you might see me somewhere around UAB (when/ if we ever go back to actually working in office)
Hospital Supply Chain Management

Just bought this 99 LX470 from a buddy who upgraded to a newer 200. I'm a lifetime gearhead but this is my first 4WD truck. My other fun car is an S2000. Looking forward to using this thing to make my kids get out in the woods some with me, teaching them some basic car-maintenance stuff, and just generally enjoying the truck. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys as we go along. Summer project (it's freakin hot already) is baseline maintenance, minor repairs, and getting it as bulletproof as I can, then we'll start having fun with it when the weather improves.

LX470ds.jpg

Jake
Gardendale, but you might see me somewhere around UAB (when/ if we ever go back to actually working in office)
Hospital Supply Chain Management

Just bought this 99 LX470 from a buddy who upgraded to a newer 200. I'm a lifetime gearhead but this is my first 4WD truck. My other fun car is an S2000. Looking forward to using this thing to make my kids get out in the woods some with me, teaching them some basic car-maintenance stuff, and just generally enjoying the truck. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys as we go along. Summer project (it's freakin hot already) is baseline maintenance, minor repairs, and getting it as bulletproof as I can, then we'll start having fun with it when the weather improves.

View attachment 2328031
Welcome Jake, good looking LX. How many miles are on it? There are plenty of 100s in our club and a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge on them. You should join us for our next club meeting - Thurs June 18 at Billy’s in Liberty Park.

Welcome Jake, good looking LX. How many miles are on it? There are plenty of 100s in our club and a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge on them. You should join us for our next club meeting - Thurs June 18 at Billy’s in Liberty Park.

230k! It's the most, uhm, seasoned car I've ever bought by a factor of about 150k miles. Nothing scary, but with the quirks and worn stuff you'd expect for those amounts of odometer clicks. I've wanted one for years, and this one came across the radar. Couldn't refuse. Summer of catching up on maintenance is the name of the game for me up here.

I'll try to make it out to a meeting soon, but won't promise the very next one. We're still being really cautious about social distancing here at my place since we have a couple of higher-risk extended family who we don't want to take a germ to by accident. But- I will make it out for a burger and tire kick soon.

230k! It's the most, uhm, seasoned car I've ever bought by a factor of about 150k miles. Nothing scary, but with the quirks and worn stuff you'd expect for those amounts of odometer clicks. I've wanted one for years, and this one came across the radar. Couldn't refuse. Summer of catching up on maintenance is the name of the game for me up here.

I'll try to make it out to a meeting soon, but won't promise the very next one. We're still being really cautious about social distancing here at my place since we have a couple of higher-risk extended family who we don't want to take a germ to by accident. But- I will make it out for a burger and tire kick soon.
230k is just broken in! We just sold my wife’s ‘01 LX w/ 318k miles.

David
Birmingham
COO/General Counsel

Hi all. I just met a couple of great members at Otey's the other night that were looking at my 83 BJ60, which I just picked up last Sunday. I previously restored a 1985 FJ60 and got the urge to do the same to an FJ/Bj 40. While I forgot the guys' names (sorry) they were great to talk to and I am excited to be getting involved with this group. I will miss next Thursday as I am taking my daughter to SMU for her freshman year, but I will definitely make the next meeting at Billy's. I kind of went OCD since my purchase and have already restored some original rims, changed out the aftermarket rims, got new tires, repainted all of my interior knobs, replaced the front and rear light lenses, and added rear side reflectors. Hubcaps, stainless steel screw kits for everything, canvas seat straps, and a new heater valve come in tomorrow. I also have a restored period correct Toyota AM/FM radio coming in. So much for taking it slow. Some pics are below. I look forward to seeing you guys on the road. BTW, I know that my tag says 83FJ40. I just thought that I would have some real issues with non landcruiser people thinking ("This guy Ate Three BJs For T? Who the hell is "T" and why would he tell people that?")😂
IMG_E2790.JPG

IMG_E2791.JPG
IMG_E2811.JPG
IMG_E2810.JPG

David
Birmingham
COO/General Counsel

Hi all. I just met a couple of great members at Otey's the other night that were looking at my 83 BJ60, which I just picked up last Sunday. I previously restored a 1985 FJ60 and got the urge to do the same to an FJ/Bj 40. While I forgot the guys' names (sorry) they were great to talk to and I am excited to be getting involved with this group. I will miss next Thursday as I am taking my daughter to SMU for her freshman year, but I will definitely make the next meeting at Billy's. I kind of went OCD since my purchase and have already restored some original rims, changed out the aftermarket rims, got new tires, repainted all of my interior knobs, replaced the front and rear light lenses, and added rear side reflectors. Hubcaps, stainless steel screw kits for everything, canvas seat straps, and a new heater valve come in tomorrow. I also have a restored period correct Toyota AM/FM radio coming in. So much for taking it slow. Some pics are below. I look forward to seeing you guys on the road. BTW, I know that my tag says 83FJ40. I just thought that I would have some real issues with non landcruiser people thinking ("This guy Ate Three BJs For T? Who the hell is "T" and why would he tell people that?")😂View attachment 2403805
View attachment 2403806View attachment 2403809View attachment 2403810
David, thanks for posting up and congrats on the new purchase. That's a great looking BJ40 you have! I bet you probably met Drew or Matt (I know they hang around Otey's a lot and both of them have 40's too).

Where did you get the BJ from? Did you import it or buy it from someone who did?

So the difference in FJ40 and BJ40 for the uninitiated (me) - Diesel? Anything besides the drivetrain?

Great looking old truck.

David, thanks for posting up and congrats on the new purchase. That's a great looking BJ40 you have! I bet you probably met Drew or Matt (I know they hang around Otey's a lot and both of them have 40's too).

Where did you get the BJ from? Did you import it or buy it from someone who did?
Cole,
Thanks! One of the guys has an FJ40 and the other guy said that he was the president of the club and had an FJ60 that was really nice and decked out. I got the BJ40 from Darren Haramija in Guntersville. He bought it from Barry Guess in Arab, who I believe imported it. Barry replaced the diesel engine with a period correct 2F engine. Darren bought it with the intention of a complete restore, but he had just finished a 79 FJ40 restoration and didn't rea;;y want to immediately repeat that process, so he listed it. I went to look at the BJ40 with my son last Saturday and I couldn't believe what great condition it was in. Zero rust outside of very very very little surface rust in the back bed, original fender flares with zero cutting anywhere. I was really lucky to find this gem.

Cole,
Thanks! One of the guys has an FJ40 and the other guy said that he was the president of the club and had an FJ60 that was really nice and decked out. I got the BJ40 from Darren Haramija in Guntersville. He bought it from Barry Guess in Arab, who I believe imported it. Barry replaced the diesel engine with a period correct 2F engine. Darren bought it with the intention of a complete restore, but he had just finished a 79 FJ40 restoration and didn't rea;;y want to immediately repeat that process, so he listed it. I went to look at the BJ40 with my son last Saturday and I couldn't believe what great condition it was in. Zero rust outside of very very very little surface rust in the back bed, original fender flares with zero cutting anywhere. I was really lucky to find this gem.
Nice job, it looks like a really clean 40.

Maybe you met Stephen @Forerunner at Otey's. He has a gray 60 that has lots of bells and whistles :)

It was a blue FJ60 with a serious aftermarket front bumper, led headlights and tinted windows.
that was stephen probably. think its the grayish blue color they had back then. I'm in crestline too

Last edited:
So the difference in FJ40 and BJ40 for the uninitiated (me) - Diesel? Anything besides the drivetrain?

Great looking old truck.
They are basically the same truck, minus the engines. The first letter in the same signifies engine type - (F) signifies a gas engine (F, 2F, etc) , or (B) Diesel engine (B, 3B, etc).
There’s a few other small things: speedometer in a BJ40 will be in kilometers per hour and I believe they came with 3.70 gears in the axles compared to 4.10s gears in the FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom