DIY Tow Dolly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to build a Tow Dolly because I am crazy and a cheap B#@$%%*.
Most of my projects start in a Junkyard, so that is where I stopped by first.
I found a nice 2006 Dodge Minivan and pulled the rear axle.

I took the axle home and cut it in half...

001Junkyard.jpg

002Junkyard.jpg

004begin.JPG

I had to make the rear axle wider and keep it under the Texas limit of 102" wide. Then I tacked on some steel...

006progress.JPG

010GettingThere.JPG

I added some more supports, some plate for my tires, more steel...

011GettingThere.JPG

012MG_1916.JPG

I added more support pieces, a bunch of D-rings, then I had to figure a good way to make the fenders...

013slowly.JPG

014slowly.JPG

015Slowly.JPG

Then it was time to add some paint...
I usually use the Tractor Enamel Paint from Tractor Supply because it is cheap and simple to spray.

016Painting.JPG

019paint_142036.jpg

028DollyFinished02.jpg

029Done_7337.JPG

030DollyFinished03.jpg

Here is a shot of my "stock" 1985 Toyota Pickup loaded and ready to go to the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree. I have used the trailer a few times and the straps seem to work best going through the D-Rings because it keeps the tires centered.
I used a lot of steel I had in the garage and picked up some more at the Recycle Center. I only spent $450 but it did take a long time to build.

040Loaded01.jpg

041Loaded02.JPG

042Loaded03.JPG

043Loaded04.JPG

044Loaded05.jpg

I like what you did however used to dolly can be had for $500 if your patient via Craigslist!

Around here used tow dollies go for $1000~$1200 and up. If you see one for $500, it is beat and likely needs $500 worth of work to make it road-worthy.

I like your junkyard dolly idea. I wouldn't have thought to use a minivan axle. Nice out of the box thinking and it's a solid looking setup and far less $ than a manufactured dolly. Plus, you can't put a price on building it yourself.
Nicely done!

I like everything but the straps through the wheels, You are asking for a cut strap that way. Didn't read all text, disregard if you addressed it above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom