DIY Skottle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I've seen a skottle a few times, and each time I like the idea but am offended by the price. The trip leader used his a lot recently on a trip to Baja and I was surprised to find it only had a 13,000 btu coleman burner. Loading it up with carnitas really stopped it.

So, I want to DIY a skottle. Here's what I have so far. I went down to my local steel/junk yard looking for disc (farming implement), they had none, they can't keep them in stock, but they had this. Stainless steel. Looks perfect.

and then I ordered a single burner campchef turkey fryer - 60,000 btu's

So, I'm going to cut the top off the burner, keep the ring, lose the legs.

Figure out how to attach the burner to the plate - think by welding on some tangs and then bolting the ring on. so the thing can be disassembled.

Then, weld on some receivers for the 1" lightweight pipe I've got for legs

Any ideas?

Okay, for the record, here's the rest of the skottel and finished product

Tangs to mount camp chef burner. Simple light weight angle bent slight to accommodate curve.

60,000 btu burner unit mounted

1" stainless steel legs mounted into electrical conduit sleeves - just happened to fit nightly

Full assembled 60,000 btu skottle

Show us the cooking part, looks great

The only issue I see is that food tends to stick big time to stainless. That's why carbon steel is a better material for fry pans or discadas. Carbon steel can be more easily seasoned, and the seasoning tends to last and improve over time.

Cruiserdrew - I agree and that has been my experience with this skottel the few times I've used it - despite using a lot of oil/fat. But, the stainless plate was a deal and they had no discs at that salvage yard I went to. If I find a disc, I can always switch it over. It was really the big burner I was after.

There was a guy making his own model but I can’t find his fb page anymore.

So, I could a couple of steaks last night, I wish I had taken some pictures. In less than a minute the stainless steel was so hot that the steaks didn't sizzle, they smoked. going to have to control that. And, I'm going to have to find a real disc to replace the stainless steel. It's impossible to clean.

that is an interesting option., my only concern is the weight.

I hear you.. but I'd also think it helps with better even heat distribution vs. thinner carbon steel. At 60K BTUs, that will be harder to control.

Here ya go, ya filthy animals.

73F2F27B-674E-4DF8-A221-C5D894C2A2B8.jpeg

32357F8E-FABA-46C0-B79E-435502DA41E0.jpeg

E9C83809-D81B-467E-A7A0-2B7C656E5F46.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom