DIY hi lift jack mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

My hi lift jack finally came today and im too cheap to buy the mounts for my yakima megawarrior rack that cost like $80, I figure I could make something better for under half that. The only problem is coming up with a way to do that. Anyone have any ideas?

I was able to make custom light brackets for it that work excellently. All I need is a jumping off point haha.

If you're really cheap, you could just use some Yakima snap-arounds, buy longer bolts and use some old shackle bushings, washers, and a wing nut. But at some point, "cheap" starts crossing into "unsafe"... I have used Yakima Multimounts before with longer bolts and a cusom-bent metal cover bracket to hold it down, but they're kind of pricey as well.

I also have been trying to figure out a way to carry my 60" high lift safely on my 100 and have been considering purchasing Slee's high lift adapter for the stock rack as mentioned above but I'm just not sold on the Yakima Mighty Mount part of the system. Aren't they plastic? If they are I just wouldn't feel that fuzzy inside about their security while driving on rough, rocky terrain, or worst case scenario, a minor colision (or worse) with a 35 lb. or 40 lb. jack hung on the roof by plastic straps. Admittidly, I've never seen the mighty mounts up close and personal, maybe they ARE bomb proof. Anyone have any feed back on their beefiness factor or experiance with their ruggedness?

I also have been trying to figure out a way to carry my 60" high lift safely on my 100 and have been considering purchasing Slee's high lift adapter for the stock rack as mentioned above but I'm just not sold on the Yakima Mighty Mount part of the system. Aren't they plastic? If they are I just wouldn't feel that fuzzy inside about their security while driving on rough, rocky terrain, or worst case scenario, a minor colision (or worse) with a 35 lb. or 40 lb. jack hung on the roof by plastic straps. Admittidly, I've never seen the mighty mounts up close and personal, maybe they ARE bomb proof. Anyone have any feed back on their beefiness factor or experiance with their ruggedness?

In 10 years we have never heard of any reported failures or issues with them. Each brackets uses two of the mounts. They don't have s spec on them but we use the same amount of brackets that is used to hold a fully loaded ski rack, snow board rack or bike racks.

Slee wouldn't sell them if they weren't bomb proof. I used them for a couple years with no issues other than some chips in the powder coating and signs of weather. My jack now rides on my rear bumper.

my hi lift lives on the slee kit full time. The work great, solid as a rock, not rattles. (the base is in my tool box though)

$5 and strong as hell...some bolts and a few nuts, rattles like hell I must admit. My hi-lift now is bolted down inside and out of the elements. Keep it covered if you can
6 Dec 09 (32).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom