DIY Full Standalone ECU setup in AT 1FZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the lack of information on tuning or installation of aftermarket ecus on a 1FZ-FE and after lots of research I finally bit the bullet. I was confident I would be able to get the engine running but knew I would most likely fall into issues with other control modules that rely on the original ecu for comms and mainly the TCM which is integraed into the ECU in my model.

After countless hours troubleshooting and doing more research I finally have a working full standalone ECU and have succeded in all the basic engine control eg: start, idle, drive selecting all gears so far so good. Which is still using the original TCM part of ECU for transmission control, for now anyway. My next project I have started tinkering with is a standalone TCM controller with full integration to the aftermarket ECU via canbus/serial. Im yet to figure out what the other modules communication protocols are but hope to integrate them also.

Finding information for my particular year/model/engine proved very difficult as it is right in the sweet spot of transitioning from dizzy to efi, 1996 onward apparently got an overhaul with changes to engine, engine control, other electrical/control modules, and wiring. The Australian model seemed to be a bit all over the place. I still found more relevant helpful information from the 80 series manuals and refered to other sources when it come to trigger and ignition setup which I didnt really end up finding useful information. I ended up manually probing each sensor to find its corresponding pin at the ecu. I still haven't come across an ecu pinout, or wiring diagrams that matche mine 100%. I manually found/confirmed trigger angles, trigger wheel, sensor types. The only information I found didn't sound right and would have put me 100 degress out of sync with TDC. Majority of the information was actually 1FZ-F related about dizzy triggers and timing which i belive have a 24 - 2 trigger but usually get configured as a 12 - 1. After all that I figured out if you take the cover off the ECU all the inputs/outputs are labelled on the PCB.
For those that are interested here is my setup so far

1998 105 Land Cruiser Auto 1FZ-FE
The aftermarket ECU Im running is a UA4C based on speeduino which uses an arduino as the main controller. Very similar to a megasquirt using same tuning software called tunerstudio.

It has 36/2 - 2 tooth crank trigger wheel with 80 degree offset and 2 cam triggers 90 degrees apart
Im not running cam trigger its only needed if you plan to run sequential, which I believeve requires grinding one of the triggers off the camshaft.

Wasted spark, alternating 3 channel batch injection. Same as the stock ECU.

All up for the ECU and harness cost me under $300
I ended up replacing sensors/connectors I broke/damaged in the process from being old and brittle and replacemented my starter motor which was already on its way out.

I still need to work on the tune and get my VE and AFR tables dialled in then work on cold startup and idle

Certain things don't work like they used to eg:
Fuel pumps - connected straight to Fuel pump relay bypassing the low load resistor (Not sure of the longevity of them in this configuration and plan on attcking this after Im happy with everything. I'm thinking a pressure switch once the rail hits a certain value pump changes from high to low)
PWR switch - can be connected to new ECU utilized as an input for map switching or triggers etc
At the moment there is no knock detection, I have a module on order im hoping should be easy enough to get working.

Anyone who wants further info or my base config files feel free to ask.

Ill attach images, videos of my install and keep updating my progress if anyone is interested

PXL_20230709_053040474.jpg

20230709_123722.jpg

Congrats on getting it all going. I am full standalone also but with Maxxecu. Very Cool to see it done like you have it.
Are you able to confirm whether the stock injectors are 280cc or 250cc? I have 650s waiting to go in it but would prefer to get it dialed in fully stock.

Great work! Time to post some videos.

I have a 100 Series with the same ECU Part # and I'd love to see how it runs and shifts with the standalone.
I have been troubleshooting a dodgy coil. I should have a new one tomorrow and hopefully get some videos up.

I have made progress with the Transmission Controller
Still a bit to figure out before trying it in the cruiser.
As for the controller itself bench test are good

Figured out
VSS input
Full gear selection, lockup
Auto, Manual, Sport mode

Still to figure out
line pressure control
safety parameters - rpm/speed blocking downshift etc
lockup for downhill decent
lockup out disengage

Screenshot_20230726-232604.png

Screenshot_20230726-232612.png

Screenshot_20230726-234732.png

Sorry if I missed it but what problem did this solve, was original ECU failing and this is cheaper?

Sorry if I missed it but what problem did this solve, was original ECU failing and this is cheaper?
Fair question, I plan on building the motor with forced induction, I looked at going piggy back due to limited information and limitations of that setup and all the benefits of standalone. Knowing I would end up having to go stand alone eventually I thought I may as well get it out of the way first

Fair question, I plan on building the motor with forced induction, I looked at going piggy back due to limited information and limitations of that setup and all the benefits of standalone. Knowing I would end up having to go stand alone eventually I thought I may as well get it out of the way first
Oh gotcha, so it's more of a performance goal. Sweet, sounds like one hell of a project, full steam ahead.

I can report great success after replacing ignition coil. Everything magically started behaving and responding like it should. Got nice comfortable start on tuning, still got some tweaking to do around acceleration enrichment, idle, deceleration and touch up VE table. My phone was going to die only managed to get a few quick videos, I'll upload what videos I got and link them shortly.

Hey there mate, really interested in your build! Do you have a detailed information on your wiring? I would love to know how you wired up your aftermarket ecu to run your fuel and ignition only with leaving the original ecu in to run the AT and all the other factory Toyota stuff! Does the car bring up any fault codes cause it’s not controlling your engine anymore!!! What wires did you cut from the original ecu! What inputs and outputs does the original ecu need to run the AT properly without any issues?? Any help will be great as I would like yo do the same thing on mine!!! Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom