Dispersed Camping Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm going camping with a buddy this weekend and we are looking for a dispersed campsite with the following characteristics:
  1. Accessible via forest roads that are OPEN.
  2. Wooded area, not Desert
  3. Nearby hiking options preferred
  4. Shooting permitted
  5. Overnight lows above freezing
Obviously this is a uniques set of requirements that require a fair bit of research that I am currently doing, but with so many potential options, I thought I would try to narrow it down with the community's support. I have a couple of sites I like that are around Crown King off of Senator Hwy, but we are leaning towards something new.

Try this thread:

Some roads are passenger car accessible - others are strictly high-clearance and/or 4wd roads. All should be open as they are no where near developed sites.

Forest Service Coronavirus (Covid-19) Updates

The Forest Service is taking the risks presented by COVID-19 seriously and is following USDA and CDC public health guidance as we continue to offer services to the public. Visitors to our National Forests and Grasslands are urged to take the precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There are three official, government-wide sources of up-to-date information about the coronavirus: Coronavirus.gov, CDC.gov/coronavirus, and USA.gov/coronavirus.

Try this thread:

Some roads are passenger car accessible - others are strictly high-clearance and/or 4wd roads. All should be open as they are no where near developed sites.

Forest Service Coronavirus (Covid-19) Updates

The Forest Service is taking the risks presented by COVID-19 seriously and is following USDA and CDC public health guidance as we continue to offer services to the public. Visitors to our National Forests and Grasslands are urged to take the precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There are three official, government-wide sources of up-to-date information about the coronavirus: Coronavirus.gov, CDC.gov/coronavirus, and USA.gov/coronavirus.

That is such an awesome thread. Thanks for linking to/creating it!

Think freezing or at least close along sections of 260 that are wooded may or may be possible. If the weather warms up would help. I am north of that area and overnight lows are still in the twenties. I know the north side of 260 is opened as of last week. East side of 87 is still closed. Get email notifications from Coconino National Forest service. As of now the 300 road along the
rim is still closed. Can't answer for what is
open or camping opportunities along 87/260 south of the rim.

Think freezing or at least close along sections of 260 that are wooded may or may be possible. If the weather warms up would help. I am north of that area and overnight lows are still in the twenties. I know the north side of 260 is opened as of last week. East side of 87 is still closed. Get email notifications from Coconino National Forest service. As of now the 300 road along the
rim is still closed. Can't answer for what is
open or camping opportunities along 87/260 south of the rim.
Good point about the winter -> spring thaw anti-mud closures in the Coconino.

Here is the link to the main Coco road closures (none of the roads on the "Accessible" thread in the piney area of Highway 260 appear to be closed)

Great area up there, anyone know if FR300 Rim Road is open yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom