disasemble birfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm re greasing my knuckles and cant figure out how to disasemble the birfields to clean them and regrease. I read the article on the marlin tack and plan to do this. Sliding the C clip that's easy to git to does nothing. Eany sugestions or tricks would be great.
:cheers:

I mount the inner axle in a GOOD vice, and using a solid drift/rod on the inner race, I drive the Fing birf off the inner.

Works every time.

Good luck!

-Steve

Take a chunk of pipe, put the inner into it with the birf at the end, and drive it as hard as you can into a board on a concrete floor. After a couple tries it'll bust that C-clip.

Don't do it directly onto the concrete, it will chip (the concrete, not the inner).

As I was told "You can't do it like an Englishman.", use one of the above methods and beat the beejebsus out of it. You might want to make sure the younger children are out of earshot because swear words seem to aid the process.

I eventually sold mine as a unit and bought Longfields. Problem solved.

I use a method similar to Advent - stand a piece of pipe or tube about 1 & 1/2 or 2'" ID, about 3 foot long, on the garage floor. Stuff a rag in the bottom end of the pipe. Slide inner axle into top end of the pipe until rear of birfield is resting on top of pipe. Now pick up entire pipe/birfield assembly as high as possible and let it drop to floor bottom end first. Usually 5 or less drops will shear thru or deform the C clip, and the axle will drop to the bottom of the pipe, caught by the rag you stuffed there.

Works good for me.

Cheers, Blake

put a pipe in a vice - hold the birf on top of the pipe so the inner shaft is just in the pipe and drop it so it smashes into the birf, in a little while the inner will fall off of the birf and will drop so watch your feet. and i just reverse the process to get it back on.

The above pipe method works great. One thing, you might want to stuff a rag in the end of the pipe to catch the end of the inner.

the pipe method is the stuff! never had one come out so easy.

Pipe method only works reliably on the long side, for me anyway. For the short side, it's Poser's BFH and vice method for me.

Last edited:
put it back in rig . Drive front end into ditch . Put in reverse. Turn full stop one way or other . Mash throttle . Birf disassembled.:D

peesalot said:
put it back in rig . Drive front end into ditch . Put in reverse. Turn full stop one way or other . Mash throttle . Birf disassembled.:D

Worked for me in the past. That's how I found out about the pipe method.

There are not threads on the diff end or the birf end of the inner axles..

Thanks every one!

I had a pipe that just slid over the c clip and was 3" longer than the longer inner. With a rag in the other end 4 pops and the long one was a apart one pop and the short one came apart. Total time spent about 3 mimutes.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom