Dirty throttle body. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this normal? How do you clean the throttle body? I’ll check the FAQ next.
I drive on dirt roads daily, just wondering what others have seen.
Mr. Shotts?
2 029.jpg
2 030.jpg

This is why I like the oil catch can on the VR4, totally eliminates the PCV fumes entering the intake. I doubt that this can be done on the LC’s because of the complex ECU functions. Perhaps water injection would help?

Also, while I was changing the throttle motor controller, I checked the throttle, because the cable has a ton of slack IMO. When the gas pedal is pushed to the floor, I can push the throttle about ¼ in more. It looks like I can adjust the cable, but wanted to check with what you guys think.
Dean

At least on the 22re, there are two ways, a toyota mechanic told me. The quick and easy way is to shoot carburetor fluid in there, then use a wire brush (toobrush size) and scrub it, shoot more fluid to "rinse" it. Then start up the engine. It'll sound horrible for the first 30 sec or so until all the carb cleaner burns off. The second way is to remove the TB and soak it in carburetor cleaner & reassemble. If you wait too long and neglect the cleaning, the TB valve/flap can stick due to the gummed-up carbon, so the accelerator will feel like it's sticking (in my case, when starting from a dead stop on a cold engine), and you'll have to push down more to get it to unstick. I'd imagine that carbon build-up in the TB wouldn't be an issue until at least 60K mi.

I've heard all fuel injected engines need a good TB cleaning around 60k. I paid to have mine done and Toyota did a mediocre job, so I finished the job myself. Just be sure to use a cleaner approved for use on TBs.

rule303 said:
Just be sure to use a cleaner approved for use on TBs.

I agree on this one, rule. I had to replace the seals on my cars TB because of the seals were leaking. Someone said that if you spray cleaner into the TB it make these seals dry out, causing them to leak. So, therefore I’m leery about just spraying cleaner in there. Is it ok to manually open the TB? It’s hooked up to a motor unlike my other car’s TB.
I’m thinking water injection will be the best for keeping this clean, with out the worries of drying the seals out.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom