Dimensions for 2F engine dolly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some dimensions. I'm going to pick up an FJ40 for parts in a few days, and there is also a spare 2F engine that I need to drag out of a barn. They guy doesn't have any equipment to move it, so I was thinking about making a dolly (similar to a furniture dolly) to set it on to make it easier to move to the trailer. Can anyone give me some dimensions to help me out? I was basically just wanting to make it a square with castors on each corner. I was thinking that the low portion of the oil pan could sit on a cross-member on one end, and the other end could sit on an elevated cross-member. I could just make a square dolly and use wood blocks also, but I still need a measurement of the oil pan. (mainly the length of the pan)

Would something like this work? You’ll need the bell housing installed. I can you the dimensions if needed.

4CFBC46F-0083-43CE-BDA2-7148D93F0797.jpeg
E782F3CB-054B-44BF-B13C-15B9239481A1.jpeg

Here's mine. I can get you dimensions tomorrow. Instead of casters, just get the cheap 30"x18" furniture mover from harbor freight and set the cradle on top. oil pan is about 9.5" wide and 27" long. My cradle is only 22 inches long in terms of the oil pan length supported. Use a ratchet strap to tighten the wood blocks closer to the oil pan walls.

IMG_20220826_103257845.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, that would work great, but unfortunately, I have no idea if a bellhousing is installed or not. I doubt that it is, so I have to plan that it's not. I appreciate it, though.

Garfield, that's kind of what I was thinking. I sure appreciate the pic and the dimensions of the oil pan. If you get a chance, send me those cradle dimensions, and I'll get one made. Thanks again!

Garfield, that's kind of what I was thinking. I sure appreciate the pic and the dimensions of the oil pan. If you get a chance, send me those cradle dimensions, and I'll get one made. Thanks again!

Please see attached PDF for cradle specs.

I got the idea off an old Chevy Stovebolt forum: https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engine_dolly.html

I modified the plans so the side blocks that rest against the oil pan also rest flush on the ground for added support and brought the height of the engine down a bit to make it more stable for transporting the engine inside the cradle in the back of a pick up truck. Be sure to use long deck screws, I think they're 3" long. Ratchet strap the engine/cradle combination across and above in the back of a truck and there should be no sliding forward or lifting off the truck floor while you drive it home.

[One edit on the PDF, I think I cut the Support blocks to 9 1/2" rather than the 11" or 10 1/2" shown on the PDF sheet.]

Attachments

• engine cradle plans_modified.pdf
    869 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom