Dim Door Ajar Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what it means when the door ajar light bulb in the instrument cluster is not fully lit up but dimly lit? I am referring to what the EWD calls the Combination Meter in the driver's area.

When I open each door individually, the bulb is bright, as expected, and returns to being dim when the door is closed. I can manipulate each door switch manually and it operates the same.

Otherwise, the door ajar bulb stays lit up whenever the engine is running -- but dim and not bright, as if a door is open. The bulb is not lit up at all with the key removed or in the accessory position.

I previously had an issue where the power locks were cycling on/off but whatever motor controls that is dead now.

I've been having a tough time searching for this because I might be using the wrong terminology. Most of the threads relate to a bad door switch but mine seem to operate normally.

Edit - I do have the TVSS alarm. Saw on another Toyota forum that someone's aftermarket alarm was backfeeding some voltage into this circuit. Guess I am going to have to check this out. It needs to go anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, typically this is grounds on the door switches but it sounds like you check that already. Measure those potentials to ground!

Might check the ground from body to frame in the very back under the tailgate. I cleaned mine up and then the dash lights go brighter and the D light started working again. At least one other person experienced the same so worth a check.

I do have the TVSS alarm. Saw on another Toyota forum that someone's aftermarket alarm was backfeeding some voltage into this circuit.
That was my first thought. I've personally never needed to add diodes to the wiring of any of the three alarms I've installed so far, but I sure read about it on 12V forums.

Also, it's *only* the door-ajar light, right? Because I just remembered that a bad diode in the alternator's regulator/rectifier can cause odd dash light behavior.

That was my first thought. I've personally never needed to add diodes to the wiring of any of the three alarms I've installed so far, but I sure read about it on 12V forums.
The other Toyota forum post said the TVSS installer tapped the 12V door lock wire and was feeding 4V when it shouldn't. I guess the reduced voltage might explain why it's dim all the time. Although I'm not sure why it would be dim only when the engine is running if the alarm is always active. That guy replaced the alarm because it went bad.

This might explain the odd door lock behavior from before. It was cycling over and over. They're dead now. Might have fried the door control relay module. Also, I was getting a shock from one of the buttons in the area immediately around the TVSS dash light.

Also, it's *only* the door-ajar light, right? Because I just remembered that a bad diode in the alternator's regulator/rectifier can cause odd dash light behavior.

Correct, although I changed the alternator recently and these problems continued.

It's probably worth my time to suck it up and just remove the alarm.

So the problem was the TVSS alarm. Once I removed it, the door ajar light stopped staying on dim all the time. Door locks are still not working but I removed the module to check it out offline.

I will update one of the TVSS threads with some pictures. The installer wrapped many of the wire harness connectors in plastic bags including one not related to the alarm system. That particular connector was wet and moldy. One of the wires is broken as well. I need to let it dry and assess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom