Differentials, Transfer Case Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a 100 and looking at maintenance records see that it's been around 33K since the differentials and transfer case fluids were serviced.
I'll take the work to my mechanic but need to supply the fluids. I contacted the local Toyota stealership but they don't sell the gear oil for consumer-service work.

I've read several post where owners are using Mobil 1 full synthetic all around. The only fluid I can find is their 75W90 LS. In E-Mail correspondence with Mobil they claim NOT to have a product suitable for this application in the U.S. and do NOT recommend using a oil with limited slip in a non-LS application.

I spoke with Castrol and they recommended using their Axle 80W90 LS conventional oil in the diffs and their Syntrax 75W90 Limited Slip synthetic in the transfer case.

Anyone else running Castrol like this? Is their Syntrax synthetic recommended (by user's here) using in both the diffs and TC?

My bottle of M1 75W90LS gear oil specifically states it is for both conventional and limited slip differentials and meets the GL-5 specification. Why in the world would they claim in an email they don't have a gear oil for conventional differentials in the U.S.? Weird.

I've been using M1 for years & ~70k miles, for all gear lubes. I checked with Mobil over the years and rechecked today by calling there tech support team. They said as I believed they would, that: LS is needed for cars with LS, but is also fine and will not hurt non LS Differentials or our transfer case. Basically we pay for more than we need.

I change lube when it darkens:
My transfer case runs quite (no vibration issue) darkens at about <~20k miles.
My front differential darkens at >~25K miles.
My rear differential was still amber at 30K miles (I'll be checking between 36K / 40k miles)

I had a Toyota dealer change lubes my first time ~100k miles ago, and they used Castrol, synthetic where available, and BG additives.

I like synthetic for a number of reasons. I've gone with all MI synthetic Oil, Gear lube, Grease and ATF because it's readily available for all application. Keeps It Simple.

I wish they made NGLI #1 grease. I'd use that in axle needle bearing and winter lube of propeller shafts slip yokes.

My bottle of M1 75W90LS gear oil specifically states it is for both conventional and limited slip differentials and meets the GL-5 specification. Why in the world would they claim in an email they don't have a gear oil for conventional differentials in the U.S.? Weird.
Funny, went I called Mobil the operator that directs the call he said: for LS only he thinks. Maybe he answer emails also.
Once I got to tech support they said works with either and will not harm non LS.

I'll go with what's printed on bottle and tech support statements and keep using.

I took others advice on here and bought Valvoline Full Syn. 75W90. My friend that did some work for me says that is what they use at his shop as well.

That Valvoline Full Synthetic 75W-90 is also formulated for limited slip applications as well as conventional differentials.

Mobil email reply to my question asking is it safe for our Toyota LC 100 non LS Differentials & Transfer case:

"If it’s calling for GL-5 75W-90 then yes. There is no concern having LS if you don’t need it.
Regards,
Craig Betts, CLS
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Products Technology"

Interestingly enough, I spoke with a Toyota technician yesterday afternoon about the recommended oil and he said one with Limited Slip was even more recommended to use even though it's not a LS diff so I'm not sure why Mobil would reply that it's not their recommendation to use their oil, other than a lack of experience or knowledge (by the individual tech) on the subject.
I think I'll go with the Mobil 1 75W90 LS full synthetic like many on this site do.
Thanks

Last edited:
I use both Valvoline and M1 synthetics with zero issues. I'll add LS additive, but not in the '13 LC or the '01 LX...they only end up in :princess:'s Dodge 2500 horse-hauler.

Adding LS additive to a non-LS axle will do nothing and harm nothing.

Steve

Interestingly enough, I spoke with a Toyota technician yesterday afternoon about the recommended oil and he said one with Limited Slip was even more recommended to use even though it's not a LS diff so I'm not sure why Mobil would reply that it's not their recommendation to use their oil, other than a lack of experience or knowledge (by the individual tech) on the subject.
I think I'll go with the Mobil 1 75W90 LS full synthetic like many on this site do.
Thanks
You may like the M1 full synthetic MV ATF for transmission & power steering also. Depending on your year & model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom