Differential history for the 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright all you students of the 80 series....

I've got a bet with a friend and a couple no 6's are on the line. The argument is about the differential history for the 80 series. He's got a '94 and I've got a '96.
His has a center diff lock switch on the dash but no front and rear locker capability.

Mine has the factory difflock radial switch to the left of the steering column. He's claiming that mine's aftermarket/ghetto because they didn't make that switch in '96. In fact, he further claims that the difflock was introduced and discontinued around ~94/'95. I'm pretty sure I've got the no. 6's easily in hand unless I've been a miserable student of this forum.

As I understand it LC's didn't even go to full-time 4wd until about '91. At that time there was no factory elocker option. Sometime later [?] the electronic center difflock was offered with manual wheel locks front and rear, and then finally in '95/'96 the elocker for fronts and rears were offered. From what I can gather, about 7% of the '96's had the electronic front/rear difflock switch and mine is one of those.

Does anybody know the years/history of differentials with all the options available for the 80's? I've gathered from all the posts on them in this forum that the early 80's [up to ~'94-'95] don't have as an install option the factory front/rear lockers. You can get air lockers or get lockers installed by Toyota but the actuators/motors are not currently in place for that.. all of it is an add-on.

Where can I get difinitive info on the lockers and options for the years of the 80 series?
I'm willing to share the spoils of victory to the contributor with the best information!! :beer:

thanks,
Matt

[Dan, counting on you...] :D

From what I understand the bet is based on... you win.

I don't know anywhere offhand where that info is readily available and don't like #6s, so i'll let somebody else share your spoils.

You are correct though. Factory lockers were an available option from '93-'97. Tell your buddy to pay up!!!

Stridex,
I don't think that you're entirely right. Nevertheless, pony up to the bar, 'cause your friend is going to owe you a cold #6.
Check out http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm. It explains everything you need to know.
To summerize:

1991-1992
Introduction of full time, four wheel drive system.
no factory lockers available

1993-1994
Also gets viscous coupling HF2AV transfer case versus
non-viscous HF2A transfer case for drum braked 80's (and fj80's)
Front and Rear factory lockers become an option.

1995-1997
[Nothing about the lockers]

95-97 had optional front and rear lockers with the switch to the left of the steering wheel.

I still haven't figured out how to say what I know and not keep talking about things I'm not sure about, so...

I think 98+ has a rear locker available in the US, as has the 4skinner and Taco

AFAIK G-wagons and Rubicons are the only offered with front and rear lockers today

The 98-99 100 series cruisers did have the option (or maybe standard?) for a rear locker. The switch is on the left, like the switch in the 80 series. The 2003 models do not have the option, it is not available. I do not know when they took out the option for a rear locker. Just makes me sad that they did. :dunno:

-Matt

I might add that your friend's center diff lock button was an add-on. The wiring harness is in the dash on the '94, but didn't come with the button from the factory, it had to be purchased and added on later.

91-92 had the center diff lock switch from the factory, but no f/r locker option. As Yomama has done, you can wire the FACTORY rotory switch (read: not Ghetto...) to ARB air lockers if you want a factory look.

Tell your buddy to buy good :beer: ! You win.....

-H-

If your 80 came with ABS which in turn gave you the full floating rear end and rear disc brakes, you have no center diff lock switch (from the factory). Same is true with the front and rear lockers (the factory switch is to the left of the steering wheel) full floaters were standard along with the ABS when lockers were ordered. My guess is Toyota didn't want people to disable their ABS under normal driving conditions. If you do not have ABS, then you have the semi-floating rear, drum brakes and a center diff lock switch. As you all know, you can put a center diff lock switch on an ABS equipped 80. Your buddy pays up. :beer:

Matt,
You've got most of your answers and you win the bet. This assumes you are limiting the bet and your answers to US versions of the 80 series Land Cruisers.

>> He's claiming that mine's aftermarket/ghetto <<
>> because they didn't make that switch in '96. <<

False. The diff lock option was available in '96 and the switch comes with the option

>>  In fact, he further claims that the difflock <<
>> was introduced and discontinued around ~94/'95. <<

False. Factory electric diff locks (F&R) were introduced with the 93 model and available every year up to and including the 97 models.  As 80&100 mentioned, a similar rotary switch for the factory rear lockers was available in the 100 series; 98-01 (not sure if 02 had the option.)

>> about 7% of the '96's had the ... difflocks <<

This is a number we don't have a good handle on. It seems about right but we just don't have solid documentation on the percentage or number that had the option in a given year or over the run of the FZJ80s.

The FJ80 was the first Land Cruiser series with full-time 4wd.

In summary:
=========
FJ80's (91-92) sold here in the US had full-time 4wd.
No manually unlocking hubs.  
The front hubs are always "locked" by design.
All were equipped with a locking center differential (non-viscous.)
All were equipped with a CDL switch on the dash.  
Factory electric locking F&R differentials were not available.

FZJ80's (93-97) sold here in the US had full-time 4wd.
No manually unlocking hubs.
The hubs are always "locked" by design.
F&R diff locks were a factory option.
All were equipped with a locking center differential (w/viscous coupler on ABS trucks)
None came to the US with a CDL switch on the dash.

I prefer 8 pints of Bloodington's shipped COD to Jim_Phillips@PayPal.com  :G

-B-

My 96' has the rotary switch to the left of the steering wheel as well.............and its got the lockers that go with it too!!!...all factory i might add so i think the beer is free tonite!!!
as far as the 100 series goes i believe that they went to a traction control type system to take the place of the center/rear diff locks that were available in the earlier ones 98-00/01 maybe???

thats all i know and it aint much :)

doug

All 100 series have the center diff and high and low range. The newer ones went to a traction control system instead of a rear locker.

This is great info on the 80 series, now I know why our 91 80 has no front and rear lockers. Learn something new everyday!

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom