Different Option For Dual Battery's(3fe) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I decided to do a dual battery setup on my 91 80 series. I didnt find any relocation kits so I figured I make my own. The best place I could find is on the passenger side up by the fire wall, all I had to do was move the cruise control motor and igniter and make a battery tray. All I did was unbolt cruise motor and igniter and bolt to the bracket I made. I opted for another Optima Redtop mainly because of size issues. Here are the pics. I havent figured out the way Im gonna make everything work yet (isolators, switches). Any input back would be a great help.
:cheers:
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

I like it, nice simple set up. Good job. Be careful with the hood. You may want to put a piece of heavy rubber over the positive connection just in case the hood is too close or in case you get into an accident.

I used a 200A solenoid from Wrangler NW to connect the two batteries. The solenoid is powered by a 3 way switch. Position one turns the solenoid on/off with the ignition switch, position two, is a manual cut off, position three is manual override, which is powered off of the 2nd battery.

I normaly allow the ignition to control the solenoid, so I never have to think about it. When the engine is running both batteries are connected and charging. When the engine is turned off, both batteries are disconnected and seperated.

If either battery were to die, the switch will turn on the solenoid and connect the two batteries. My rig is set up that the stock battery only powers stock accessories and the 2nd battery powers everything else. That way, if something gets left on accidently or if/when I want to leave the refrigerator, etc, on with the engine off, it won't affect the stock starter battery.

Good luck.

Looks great what did you use for the switch to control them and were did you relocate the cruise to ?

Even better...

:hmm:

I like that. Good idea slow91. I was going to put mine in the cargo area before I saw this.

I really think this should go in the FAQ... Most of the engine compartment-specific FAQ is for the 1FZ.

I like it, nice simple set up. Good job. Be careful with the hood. You may want to put a piece of heavy rubber over the positive connection just in case the hood is too close or in case you get into an accident.

There is enough and safe clearance on this location if you use the Optima (in my case I opted for a yellow top), I did the same on my 1FZJ several years ago without any problems.

There is only one battery that's readily available in the retail market, that you can do that with safely and legally.
You can't, safely and legally, do it with an Optima.

:)
Fred

What about all those cars that have the factory battery postion under the front or rear seat or in the rear compartment area?

There is only one battery that's readily available in the retail market, that you can do that with safely and legally.
You can't, safely and legally, do it with an Optima.

Fred

Correct me if I am wrong but as I recall the Optima is certified to be shipped via air cargo which make it no so illegal, but unfortunately it release a small amount of hidrogen when charged, so I guess that should make it a bit unsafe unless you put the Optima inside a marine sealed battery box which has a hose that could be directed to release the gas outside the vehicle.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I recall the Optima is certified to be shipped via air cargo which make it no so illegal, but unfortunately it release a small amount of hidrogen when charged, so I guess that should make it a bit unsafe unless you put the Optima inside a marine sealed battery box which has a hose that could be directed to release the gas outside the vehicle.

Yup, contrary to popular belief, the Optima's are not "totally sealed".
Not only do they outgas (can and do with a regular vehicle charging system), but they also have an evaporation lose. That's the main reason that they die out here in the SW (Southern AZ in my case) in about the same amount of time as a "normal" type battery, if not sooner. The high temperatures (especially under the hood) really plays heck with 'em.
A few people out here seem to have them last but, by and far, most are extremely lucky to get two years out of them.
To make it worse, when the go, they just suddenly die.
Start the vehicle to go to work and all is fine. Get in the vehicle and try to start it to go to lunch, and it's totally dead. Pretty typical...

Fred

Yup, contrary to popular belief, the Optima's are not "totally sealed".
Not only do they outgas (can and do with a regular vehicle charging system), but they also have an evaporation lose. That's the main reason that they die out here in the SW (Southern AZ in my case) in about the same amount of time as a "normal" type battery, if not sooner. The high temperatures (especially under the hood) really plays heck with 'em.
A few people out here seem to have them last but, by and far, most are extremely lucky to get two years out of them.
To make it worse, when the go, they just suddenly die.
Start the vehicle to go to work and all is fine. Get in the vehicle and try to start it to go to lunch, and it's totally dead. Pretty typical...

Fred

Unfortunately for the Optima's owners I agree with you 100%, that's what happened to all I am aware of, and my last one which is my second aux backup battery is surrounded and protected with a heat barrier as to prolong it's end as much as possible.

It's about 3 years old and I try not to push it to it's max reserve capacity so I switch back to the main aux batt when the Optima goes down to 10.5 volt and so far has been a good policy.

In the future I hope to replace both of my front batteries with Odissey's as I guess is also your top choice. Because I custom made my trays I am afraid I will have to redo the rear one as to fit a Odissey that should have the same height as the Optima it has now or the hood will touch it.

Which vehicles, specifically, built now ?

Fred

Yes, many BMW's, Mercedes, VW's have them under the back seat or under a little flap in the cargo area.

defender 110 still puts the battery under the driver's seat.
probably the D90 as well.

Not sold in the states... but hardly a deathtrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom