Dodge Diesel Tow Rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I'll do some searches as see what I can find. Looking for opinions on tow rig for roughly 9K trailer. (6K FJ60 +2.5K trailer +misc stuf)= 9 K.

Looking for used diesel, dependable machine., mostly stock type setup.

(1) what is a good year range to look for, what years to stay away from?

(2) What preference for engine (verion of the cummins I-6)?

(3) go with manual trans or auto...any year models to stay away from?

(4) Would prefer 4 wheel drive, manual controls.

(5) at what point is milage a factor on these trucks..250K or more?

(6) any preference for gear ratio.

(7) what kind of fuel milage can you expect pulling 9k trailer?

really looking for a 2500 but would consider 3500 with single rear tires.

Apprecaite any pointers or comments...

Hi, I have an 03' 3500 man. 6sp. srw 4x4. I use this to tow my 32' 5th wheel. She handles great. I made an addition when I bought (new), I added a 'chip' which really smoothed it out. There are times I wish I had a Jake brake, esp. on these mtn. roads here, but she gets great mileage even towing. I hope you can find what you want. Oh, if you end up w/a 2500, you can always put the air shocks (?) on the rear. I know you are in Al, out here quite a few people go to Smith Motors in Kellogg Id. They are great to work with & will pick you up if you fly in. You can ck. them out on line.

Good Luck,
Kat

just as an update...

was never able to find a decent truck with reasonable milage (dodge)...did find a pretty good deal on a 05 Dmax 1 ton.

Ended up buying a GM 07 K2500HD with 6.0 gas engine. I would have liked to have found a cummins rig but prices were to crazy around here for what the condition of the truck was. I did miss out on a 04 Dodge 3500 that sold a week before I called and another Dodge 2500 that I was 2nd in line on and it went to the first guy.

For good or bad the GM 2500HD is mine.. I will say that the 6.0 engine is impressive in its power, but it only marginally gets better fuel milage than my former K2500 Suburban with 8.1 engine. The trucks tows my tailer and land cruiser fine ( i drove it with the loaded trailer before I bought). Yes you can't power up the hills like the dmax, cummins or 8.1 ...but it does OK for the weight I haul.

I was really suprised by the capability of the truck. It handles better than the suburban I had, its stops better, and the transmission is nice (6 speed auto)..Gas milage is crap, and it does not have the torque like the 8.1 and deisels...but I did not have to pay another 5 to 6K on top to buy this thing.

FYI...in case anyone is following this.

I wanted to get rid of the suburban and the timeing was an issue...I'm sure there are deals around.. THe manual trans trucks seemed to be priced 2 to 4K above the automatics.

Good info in here. I'm kind of looking for the same thing.

I'm basically looking for a good comfy tow rid to pull a 5th wheel around with that's reliable.

$18k ish range.

Had a good friend say a 99-03 ford 7.3 is the way to go.

Opinions on that?

If you can find a FORD with the 7.3 manual trans ....reasonal shape and not crazy milage.. Yes would be my answer. The ones I saw were "crazy" priced...but if you came across one that is reasonable I would buy it. IF you have a source for repair work on that truck. Local ford shop is the highest hourly shop in town.

Parents will be driving it too so auto is a must. Is that a no no in the Ford? I thought dodge was the auto to avoid? Btw, budget is about 20k.

Parents will be driving it too so auto is a must. Is that a no no in the Ford? I thought dodge was the auto to avoid? Btw, budget is about 20k.

Ford makes a decent auto. The best auto is the Allison, but that's unique to the GM Duramax rigs.

my auto 7.3 in my 95 ford van pulled 18,000 lbs across Canada and the US with NO issues at all...

I don't thnk the Ford auto is a no-go generally speaking but that would be my preference with the Ford product and the year range of teh 7.3 equipped truck.

If one were looking for a Dodge CTD 3500 or 2500 in the year range 04-08, manual transmission, manual transfer case control, 4 door, any preference for a certain year model truck and if so why?

Last edited:
Elbert said:
I one were looking for a Dodge CTD 3500 or 2500 in the year range 04-08, manual transmission, manual transfer case control, 4 door, any preference for a certain year model truck and if so why?

2005, cuz it's what I'm trying to sell. Cummins, 6 sp manual, quad cab, long box, 110k miles, patriot blue, k&n cold air intake, bulldog programmer, airlift under the rear, trailer brakes. Getting 24 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom