diesel fuel came out injector pump oil drain plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm helping my BIL try to get his HJ45 to start. We're going through the whole system trying to clean it up.

I took out the dip stick for the injector pump oil and it was dry. So I opened the oil drain plug and diesel fuel came out. I'm guessing this is a problem? Can this thing be rebuilt?

How long since this engine last ran?

I didnt realise there was an HJ45 (6 Cyl H engine) with a pump dip stick - I thought this was only on the early B Engines. You have nothing to lose by refilling with oil, priming to the pump and trying a test start of the engine, its absolutely what I would do. If it runs, there's unlikely to be anything wrong with the pump. Maybe the PO filled the pump with diesel? Maybe the oil has just thinned out and was clean? All very odd.

For interest, any photos of this pump? Especially the dipstick, and the drain plug you're referring to.

Last edited:
Sweet.. found the dipstick on a 1972 HJ45 parts diagram.. Has this vehicle got a stop cable instead of an ignition/EDIC shutdown?

f5ce1ad2315e2324f9dae9c6c7c27f58.png

Sweet.. found the dipstick on a 1972 HJ45 parts diagram.. Has this vehicle got a stop cable instead of an ignition/EDIC shutdown?
Yes, it has a stop cable. It was worn out and we just rebuilt it thanks to this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom