Wanted Diesel drivetrain for my 71 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, after 7 years of faithful service (to me), my original 40’s F started a slight knock.

I’ve for years tossed around the idea of a diesel swap in my 40 when this time came. I looked at a MB OM617 yesterday and the damn odometer was broken, so I passed. I’m still open to an OM617 w/ Luke’s adapter and an H41/2 or 55. I’m also open to easier Toyota swaps. I know non turbo’ed 3b/H/2H’s are gutless. I’ve owned two with 2H’s and they were pretty slow. I’d still consider if the price is right.

Let me know if you have something or know of someone that does. I’m stationed at Ft Polk, La for reference. Thx!

Have you considered an Isuzu 4bd1t as an option?

I really think the 3b (and 2h though iv never owned one) gets way more of a bad rep than it deserves, especially if you are considering installing it in a 40.

Ive been driving a 5400lb 75 series with a non turbo 3b and h41 for 20 years. It does what i need it to and it mostly does what I want it to.

Ive had it on multi k mile (75mph) trips on the highway as well as 10 day trips in the backcountry where i didnt see another person (and didnt need to head to town for fuel)

To me it makes sense to asses what you actually do with your cruiser and choose appropriately. If you want v8 power get a v8. If you want a diesel, accept that it wont have v8 power unless its a larger more modern diesel.

Sorry for the rant.
617 is crap compared to both. I dont see how a 617 makes a 3b or 2h gutless. You could always start without a turbo and add one later.

Agree, been driving my Troopy for a couple years and the 3b is surprisingly peppy. I turbo’d it with low boost, and it will pull anything a strong 2f will. Forget the 617, it’s just not the right diesel, high reving, and not enough torque. Get some awlteq 3b frame mounts and find a 3b h55 combo, you will love it!

@joekatana

Daniel,

I have sourced two 3Bs with H55f from Joe in Texas, both with excellent compression (430 psi).

In a matter of fact one time I went up to his place north of Dallas and we pulled out a glow plug out of #1 in a cold engine (no glow), and put in the compression tester and we're cranking it over to check compression and to my surprise it fired up on 3 cyclnders.

He's a great guy.
Thanks
Ernie

So, after 7 years of faithful service (to me), my original 40’s F started a slight knock.

I’ve for years tossed around the idea of a diesel swap in my 40 when this time came. I looked at a MB OM617 yesterday and the damn odometer was broken, so I passed. I’m still open to an OM617 w/ Luke’s adapter and an H41/2 or 55. I’m also open to easier Toyota swaps. I know non turbo’ed 3b/H/2H’s are gutless. I’ve owned two with 2H’s and they were pretty slow. I’d still consider if the price is right.

Let me know if you have something or know of someone that does. I’m stationed at Ft Polk, La for reference. Thx!

Have nothing to offer as for a diesel. But for you F engine I would take the time to throw in some new rod bearings. Not a big deal to do and would make it a more appealing engine for someone to buy. Knock is probably a rod bearing not a main bearing.

+1 on the 3B if you go coal. I’ve done 2 separate 2000 mile trips with mine (with the 41). The sucker just chugs right along. Compact and dead simple. Get a 55 and a turbo kit from Greg and your set.

I will have a complete 40 series powertrain for sale (3B, H41, t-case, crossmember), but not until after Christmas.

I really think the 3b (and 2h though iv never owned one) gets way more of a bad rep than it deserves, especially if you are considering installing it in a 40.

Ive been driving a 5400lb 75 series with a non turbo 3b and h41 for 20 years. It does what i need it to and it mostly does what I want it to.

Ive had it on multi k mile (75mph) trips on the highway as well as 10 day trips in the backcountry where i didnt see another person (and didnt need to head to town for fuel)

To me it makes sense to asses what you actually do with your cruiser and choose appropriately. If you want v8 power get a v8. If you want a diesel, accept that it wont have v8 power unless its a larger more modern diesel.

Sorry for the rant.
617 is crap compared to both. I dont see how a 617 makes a 3b or 2h gutless. You could always start without a turbo and add one later.
Maybe I was a little unfair with my interpretation of my Toyota diesel experiences. I absolutely loved both of my 2H w/ H41 combos. Both started first time and every time. Neither ever left me stranded. I also enjoyed their Offroad characteristics, especially with those 41’s.
Both yielded 21 mpg too! The highway characteristics are my only slight gripe. But, as others have stated, very similar to an F application... with twice the range!
I’d love to keep everything toyota. But availability might keep that from happening.

So some of you might have seen the lj-78 for sale in Michigan. Talked to the owner asked if it would make it to Idaho he said no problem and my girl and I flew out some might say a little ballsey considering no one would have parts on the 2200 mile road trip. I have always wanted a 76 series and it had to be LHD and this is what I found so I found a 70 front clip and 1hd-t with tranny. The motor that brought me from Michigan has 65000 miles on it and averaged 34 mpg it is the 3L so it has the good reliable head naturally aspirated the turbo off the 2L bolts right on
It I have a 40 and it would be a great swap power wait ratio timing belt done 4200 miles ago new belts and I have a/c compressor it burns no oil and has no leaks $3900 with tranny and case H55? Not sure it is a 5 speed.

F963AEC1-2DAE-4C50-A47F-673F5C33C193.jpeg

801EDEA8-67CD-4012-948A-DA718181105A.jpeg

om606 / merc722.6 trans. Or built ax15.

And if you want 250hp and fully mechanical you can grab a om603 pump and have the elements bumped up. For 250-300hp.

Should get an easy 24-26mpg in a 40 even with the auto.

I have a pair of Low mile early 90s Toyota Diesel drivetrains, one could complete with all brackets and even bolted to frame section and every sensor or anything under hood that could be needed to swap , thanks 530-624-9991

QUOTE="daniel.watters, post: 11900419, member: 28291"]So, after 7 years of faithful service (to me), my original 40’s F started a slight knock.

Let me know if you have something or know of someone that does. I’m stationed at Ft Polk, La for reference. Thx![/QUOTE]
I ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom