Diesel B motor - please help me understand my rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
OK..please bare with me....and Im sorry for any dumb questions....here goes..

She is a 1977 12v BJ40 sourced from Central America

#1)
Well it looks like I need to replace or rebuild my injector pump..#s 1 and 2 are barely pumping.
I removed injector pipes..cranked and little to no diesel comes out of the front two injector ports. I squirted some brake cleaner down both hoping they were stuck, with no change. I used a piece if copper wire to measure the depth of the front two against the rear two...no differances. Soo...

#2)
- (A) It looks like (i dont really know) but my edic seems to be activated only by (oil pressure sending unit??). There is only one male spade electrical connection on the body of the EDIC...( and thats not even connected ) there are no other electrical connections...
-(B) looks like it has a manual (pull) edic. On the dash has a knob with an engine and a circle and line thru....(cancel sign)???

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

Last edited:
If this is an early IP with it's own oil kept separate from the engine's oil then I'm not sure what's involved in adapting a newer pump (which gets lubricated via the engine's own oil) to fit. (I see from another thread that you're considering doing this.)

Do you have a photo of what you are referring to as your EDIC?

Not many BJ40s from Central America that I've seen on ih8mud have EDIC fitted so perhaps what you are referring to is simply an "overinjection magnet"? If this is the case, as soon as your starter begins to rotate (when attempting to start your engine) the circuit from starter terminal C through the over-injection magnet to ground is completed and this causes the magnet/solenoid to pull the little lever on your IP into the "maximum fuel position" (for easier starting).

:beer:

If this is an early IP with it's own oil kept separate from the engine's oil then I'm not sure what's involved in adapting a newer pump (which gets lubricated via the engine's own oil) to fit. (I see from another thread that you're considering doing this.)

Do you have a photo of what you are referring to as your EDIC?

Not many BJ40s from Central America that I've seen on ih8mud have EDIC fitted so perhaps what you are referring to is simply an "overinjection magnet"? If this is the case, as soon as your starter begins to rotate (when attempting to start your engine) the circuit from starter terminal C through the over-injection magnet to ground is completed and this causes the magnet/solenoid to pull the little lever on your IP into the "maximum fuel position" (for easier starting).

EDIC ?
Thats it in the second picture..there is a common post that runs thru the injector pump (one end connects to the (edic?) arm running behind the pump - the other side of this arm is connected to (pic 1) the arm you see next to the primming pump..which's cable and cotter pin you can see comming down... this goes to the knob talked about in first post

As far as oil.....it does have itss own little dipstick.

And dont know about early..I did just talk to a Canadian dealer parts guy..who said Canada didnt get BJ40s till 1978 ??

Last edited:
I see you added a picture to your first post and I can confirm that second pic does show what Toyota called an "overinjection magnet".

Not many people have engines as early as yours with the IP having its oil separate from the engine's oil. Even the governor on that IP is different to 1978 onwards models.

You say your BJ40 is 12V rather than 24V so just pretend there's only one battery in this diagram:
EarlyStartWiring.jpg

This is the spare 3b injector pump I have. I have used it once because I was having bad fuel mileage. It was my injectors plus low compression, so it just switched back to my old one.

DSC03484.JPG

DSC03485.JPG

DSC03486.JPG

DSC03487.JPG

DSC03488.JPG

Looks like you would have to add an oil feed line and screw with your throttle setup. I would also do some more research to see if it is possible to adapt this one. The 3b IP fuel is controlled by vacuum and a throttle body. Yours has a throttle cable attached to the IP.

Much THANKS everyone

Mr. Marbles. (Tom).....so what does a "over injection" magnet do?

Hmmmmmmm.....well, it looks like I have no reasonable option than to bit the bullet and cough up the cash for a rebuild.....just means other plans will have to go on hold

Much THANKS everyone

Mr. Marbles. (Tom).....so what does a "over injection" magnet do?

Hmmmmmmm.....well, it looks like I have no reasonable option than to bit the bullet and cough up the cash for a rebuild.....just means other plans will have to go on hold

I've already done the best I can to explained what the over-injection magnet does...

As for your IP, have you had this side cover off for a peek and to see if you have stuck plungers? (I think I saw someone suggest that to you before somewhere.)
IP.jpg

I ran into the same problem with my IP and oil. I live in Costa Rica and it appears that our IP's are identical. I too noticed the the dipstick one day and was under the impression before diving deeper into my B diesel that oil was automatically fed to the pump. Not the case! The IP was bone dry. I capped off the top plug that has the feeder tube coming out of it. Then filled with engine oil (think a total of 160 cc) where the dipstick is. Been fine ever since. Looks like this is the first thing anyone should check if they own a Central America LC. Just change the IP oil when you service the LC and you will be good to go.

I also second what Tom said, remove the side plate and look deeper before coughing up the $$ for a rebuild. These IPs' are virtually bullet proof.

Side note, I removed the Over injection Magnet . Runs fine without it.

Last edited:
Also want to add that if you need parts for the B engine there is a local Parts store located near me that can get almost anything for these B engines. They are very common in CR and the prices are far less than you will find on Ebay or across the pond.
Just let me know and I will be more than happy to speak with them or if you prefer PM me and I will send you his email (Spanish speaking only).
Pura Vida

Also want to add that if you need parts for the B engine there is a local Parts store located near me that can get almost anything for these B engines. They are very common in CR and the prices are far less than you will find on Ebay or across the pond.
Just let me know and I will be more than happy to speak with them or if you prefer PM me and I will send you his email (Spanish speaking only).
Pura Vida

Thanks brother...

where in CR do you live? went to a shop near the SJ airport, last time I was down there..had a few cruisers..and next door was a shop that must have had a couple 100 motor and transmissions..

Im sure you will be hearing from me...lol

Thanks again??

I live on the poas volcano. About 45 min from SJO airport. I have seen that place. I go to a store in Grecia. Great guys and all have LC, very knowledgeable as well.
Feel free to reach out to me if you need anything.
Pura Vida!

Pura Vida..to you to my friend..

May hit you up for a exact local of the LC place your refering to..plan to be down in mid July with my 11yr daughter...May bring extra suitcase for LC parts...lol.

If on your next visit to your spot and see a set of late 40 wing windows...my frames are good..but the windows are rusted out

Chris

As for your IP, have you had this side cover off for a peek and to see if you have stuck plungers? (I think I saw someone suggest that to you before somewhere.)

Yes sir...sorry I didnt mention it..have cover off...but cant see (difficult angle ) anything different than the back two... what should I be looking for??
http://vid280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/CruiserParts/Videos/VIDEO0020.mp4

http://vid280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/CruiserParts/Videos/VIDEO0023.mp4

See anything- not happening or happening that shouldn't be

Pura Vida..to you to my friend..

May hit you up for a exact local of the LC place your refering to..plan to be down in mid July with my 11yr daughter...May bring extra suitcase for LC parts...lol.

If on your next visit to your spot and see a set of late 40 wing windows...my frames are good..but the windows are rusted out

Chris

Sure thing Chris. When you get closer to your trip shoot me a PM and I can give you their info. I also have several connections for parts you may need. All within an hour of the airport. Send me a message with your email. Also, search on Costa Rica craigslist for land cruiser. There is a gringo who has access to many BJ40 parts. We can get you loaded up for your trip back home. Pura Vida

Last edited:
Just take the injector pump off and try to un-seize your injector plungers. Like i said earlier. To get the bolt off thats wedged in between the IP and engine block, use a wobble head extension for your 3/8's socket. Its the only way. You cant fxxx up the timing because theres a a dot on the IP gear and one on the IP output shaft. There is about 15 degrees of IP adjustment, so make a mark before you pull it off.

Open the side cover and let that fuel rail and plungers soak in diesel for a few days.

FYI :Cut the finger ends off of latex gloves to cover your injector lineson the IP. Just a little trick.

Anyone have a backyard tech-- idea of how to un-stick a couple puungers...really trying not to pull INJ. pump...side cove is off wnd have tried to clean out as best as possible....cant visually see the issue...but there is even motion with the springs

OK....latest video...
I have finally been able to get fluid into #2 and a tiny bit into #1 while cranking... Ive tried running diesel and brake cleaner down orifice...with little results..... I also noticed the when I am able to get fluid from the pump nosiles....it stays full in #s 3 and 4....but recedes in #s 1 and 2. Is this also signs of stuck plungers or ???

http://vid280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/CruiserParts/VIDEO0024_02.mp4

http://vid280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/CruiserParts/VIDEO0029.mp4

Thanks everyone for your help so far :cheers: :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom