Did I kill my glowplugs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
89 FJ62 W/ 2H diesel. No EDIC, Manual glowplug circuit. Twin Blue Top Optima Marine batteries, no isolator.

I drove my truck home from work tuesday. I went to start it up wednesday afternoon and it was dead. 100% dead. I thought maybe I left a door open or something but I figured those batteries would power a dome light for a week. I tried to charge the batteries, no go. I tried jumping it, no go. I tried to connect my truck 89 3.0l to the cruiser in parallel the way Optima says to recharge a dead deep cycle battery. NO GO.

I disconnected both batteries from each other and from the truck. I am trying to charge them one at a time now and decided to look for paracitic loads. Popped the fuse in my meter imediately. Turns out my glowplug relay was stuck. The question is did I just burn out my new glowplugs. They are only 2 months old. Could they take a full cycle as long as my batteries could give it? Is there an answer besides check each one?

EDIT: While shopping for new relays I have found more than a few in the $10-20 range. No one has them in stock. The local parts stores all seem to have ones that look identical but are $74. Do you think there is a difference? Perhaps if I get the more expensive one I will not end up in this situation again? I am a believer in you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
is your truck still 24 volts?how many volts glowplugs dd yu use?
wouldn't be surprise ifthe glow plugs are still ok,l have twice drained the batteries on my BJ42 because the glowplug relay contacts welded together,an lm still using the same glowplugs.
lo for a continuous duty relay.
Son

is your truck still 24 volts?how many volts glowplugs dd yu use?
wouldn't be surprise ifthe glow plugs are still ok,l have twice drained the batteries on my BJ42 because the glowplug relay contacts welded together,an lm still using the same glowplugs.
lo for a continuous duty relay.
Son

The truck is 12v. I am unsure about the glow plugs. They were installed about 2 months ago by the previous owner.

Post up job pics.

so are the glowplugs OK?
Simon

good to hear.

How did your batteries fare? Can you equalize the cells after a total discharge like that to make sure one cell won't sulfate and kill the battery?

How did your batteries fare? Can you equalize the cells after a total discharge like that to make sure one cell won't sulfate and kill the battery?

The batteries did come back but do feel that there was some damage. I had to connect them to my pickup with jumper cables and then charge. Even with that they still didn't seem to want to take a good charge. They are however still in the truck and still working but I feel like their life has been reduced.

Last edited:
I've since taken a look at these batteries, seems they don't have refilling plugs... Pity!

I ran my Everstart Marine Start and Troll batteries COMPLETELY flat last summer, leaving my fridge on and forgetting about it for a week... I mean, they were down to less than 0.1V!!! Although I was able to recharge them OK in a couple of days, some of the cells were still extremely low in electrolyte density and it could not supply more than 550 cranking amps (they are rated at 850).

It took me a week of equalizing charge, refilling the cells, bubbling, refilling and repeating until finally all the cells were at the same, full-charge electrolyte density level (1.275).

I have had great success with these batteries, having run them flat a few times (forgot lights and whatnot), with no adverse effects. The secret is to recharge AND equalize them promptly before sulfate grows on plates, as it is then extremely difficult to remove by charging; a tell-tale sign is bulging cells, especially if the battery wall appears stiff to the touch. Sulfation can expand to the point that it will destroy a cell, rendering the battery useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom