diagnosing vibration in driveline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've swapped a 2H w/H55 into a 1985 FJ60 . I'm getting a loud resonating vibration when I get around 100 KM/hr. It doesn't seem to be rpm dependent .I don't notice it at lower speeds . No problems with the driveline before the swap. U joints seem fine. I've swapped driveshafts from my 61 and have the same problem.The 60 driveshaft is fine when swapped into the 61. I tried dropping the rear shaft and took it for a spin in 4WD and the vibration is gone.
I checked and tightened up the motor mounts. Tranny mounts are tight. What should I look at next? Rear end? Pinion bearings? Rear end was not a problem before the swap. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Pete

Similar issues on my HJ61. Turns out the nut was loose on the rear diff. I tightened it up but the seal started to leak and the vibration got worse. I am in the process of a rebuild. Will let you know if it does the job.

Are you sure that the U joint assemblies are in phase when the driveshaft is installed? It is an easy thing to overlook when doing a complete assembly from separated pieces.

Are you sure that the U joint assemblies are in phase when the driveshaft is installed? It is an easy thing to overlook when doing a complete assembly from separated pieces.

yes they are. forgot to add that. I had no noise from rear end before,but the truck sat for 2yrs while I found time to do the swap. Maybe that had something to do with it ? I did check all fluid levels before taking it for the first road test and they were good.

It is possible that you have a seized needle bearing in one of the joints. It will fail eventually. Do the joints have a central grease nipple?

I've swapped a 2H w/H55 into a 1985 FJ60 . I'm getting a loud resonating vibration when I get around 100 KM/hr. It doesn't seem to be rpm dependent .I don't notice it at lower speeds . No problems with the driveline before the swap. U joints seem fine. I've swapped driveshafts from my 61 and have the same problem.The 60 driveshaft is fine when swapped into the 61. I tried dropping the rear shaft and took it for a spin in 4WD and the vibration is gone.
I checked and tightened up the motor mounts. Tranny mounts are tight. What should I look at next? Rear end? Pinion bearings? Rear end was not a problem before the swap. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Pete

Look at the output shaft/flange on the transfer case see if the shaft rotates smoothly and has no end play or side play, check your diff input shaft rotates smoothly and has no end play or side play. Since you stated the problem went away when the rear drive shaft was removed and the problem did not follow the suspect shaft to another rig it pretty well indicates the output from the transfer or the input at the diff.

Jim

Did you get this vibration fixed? I am having a heck of a time with mine. I have rebuilt the rear diff and t-case. It vibrates at 100km. It feels like it is coming from the rear. Tried with the rear drive shaft removed and the problem is still there. Grr Rotated tires aswell no change. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

i've never had a cruiser that didn't vibrate. same issues with german tanks???

I've had the truck parked since last summer and was going to bring it out and sort out a couple problems. Someone thought my problem may be having the engine a bit out of line. I was going to loosen the motor mounts a bit and adjust to see if the vibration disappears.I never had a problem with this truck when it had the gasser in it or with the donor truck. I drove each of them for 2 or 3 years with no problems.
The rear output shaft and the diff seem okay but maybe I am missing something there.Another suggestion I had was balancing the driveshaft but I've swapped three driveshafts from different trucks and it hasn't made a difference.Hope to have the time to sort this out soon. Pete

My next step is to remove the axles. (Fullfloat) and go for a short drive like that. Maybe I have a bent axle? I have to find the problem. I cannot really enjoy the truck like this.

If either of you figure out your problem be sure to let us know. I have a 2H swap that vibrates at exactly 60mph. I had a loose front wheel bearing and lubes the u joints but it's still there. I bought new tires but I won't be able to continue to diagnose untill I get the engine back in.

1. check bolt and nut on driveshaft... it always loose after 5000km when you install a new drivingshaft.

2. Pinion flange on 3rd member or on the transfer case is loose. Retight the 27 mm nut to proper torque and lock the nut with the safety.

3. Bad angle on the driving shaft... more than 10 degree with normal u-joint will cause problem. If so consider a double cv type drivingshaft

4. Drivingshaft are deaxed. If you removed your yoke on the drivingshaft and didnt put on the right place it may cause vibration

hope this help!

I'm going with number 4 from bizzjet....

sounds the most logical, (KISS) keep. it. simple. stupid. I have to tell myself that all the time.

if your driveshaft is balanced, (you tried 3) and the u joints are new and properly done, and this noise was never there before, then #4 could cause that problem.

This is a little out of the box but could the noise possibly be a "drone" or reverberation from the engine noise? I had this problem in a Jeep after a swap and had to change mufflers, it would roar inside the cab.

Thanks for the input. The driveshaft is in getting balanced now. Will try it out tomorrow. Here is hoping.

I have a droaning noise on my HJ 61 it starts at around 85km/h and gets noisier as the speed goes up.
I lifted her up and found that my front left wheel bearing has a bad roller bearing . It feels notchy when I turn the wheel by hand. Hopefully that is it.

Funny, I also have a similar vibration amplifying through the rear driveline at 90-105 kph. It is not that bad in 4th, but quite strong in 5th. I believe it is the t.case output bearing, but I'm not quite ready to do a rebuild so I just live with it, and stay out of that speed range when possible. I tried 2 different driveshafts, no change.

Still looking. Seems better at lower speeds but I still have an issue at 95 - 105 km. I will keep you posted.

My machine had a similar noise that turned out to be transmission bearings. If you have the noise only in 5th gear going almost silent in 4th don't delay a transmission drop and repair. The cages on one of the bearings in mine was partially disintegrated. The transmission came dangerously close to a catastrophic failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom