Desmogging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to desmog a 1984 2F engine in my FJ60,any ideas where to start and what should be removed? any assistance appreciated....

Welcome.

Get new EGR gaskets, and make block off plates using the gasket as a template...One on the intake manifold and one on the rear section of the exhaust manifold...

Why are you looking to de-somg?

Are you having drivability issues?

Good luck!

-Steve

Well, we dont have emission testing in my county,and am wondering if it will help increase hp or help run any better,or even if anything maybe clean uo the engine compartment ,just got the fj from a family member,and gonna be restoring it , but engine swap will come later this summer along with tranny.
currently in shop for suspension,tires,wheels,shackle reversal,stereo,speakers,paint,body,front bumper,steering wheel,locking hubs.

get an Toyota FSM for emissions. remove almost everything shown in book.

or

a motor needs gas, air, and sparks. remove everything else.

Get the manual

I recently went through the de=smog with my 1986 FJ60. Right now, everything is golden. 16 MPG, runs great. A. I got Jim Chenoweth to do the carb for de-smog ($300); he also did the distributor ($100). B. I removed the air pump and replacede it with an idler pulley also sold by Jim ($100) (many folks just gut their existing air pump). C. I removed the HAC, EGR (blocked off as in previous post), and stuff associated with the air pump. I kept the stuff associated with the EVAP system and the idle up for the airconditioning, and the HAI (Hot Air Intake). I could not have even started without an emissions manual. I have yet to remove the CAT but that is coming soon. I certainly makes it easier to work on what is left in the engine compartment.

Wolf;

There is a one vacuum line removal/block that u can do that shuts down the major smog stuff. Can't remember what I did for this, but as soon as it warms up I'll take a look. I've had my de-smag in operation for about 10 years; no removal of equipment. I did remove the cat because I almost started a forest fire.

What all is involved with the EVAP system and where does it tie into the carb or aircleaner?

Wolverine said:
but engine swap will come later this summer along with tranny.

Why do you want to work at all on this engine if it runs decently? You are just going to take it out again in the summer and it will probably not run any better, nor with any better mileage desmogged. I say that you leave it alone until you get to demolish it next summer.

Don't you think so?

One major plus to a desmoged engine is the extra space / lack of cluter under the hood. The other being a much easer engine to problem solve and work on when needed. Mine has been desomged for about 5 years. I did it shortly after the smog pump went out in BFE with 600 miles to go retuning from a ski trip in Co., Not a great day! I've had no problems as a result and find it much more easy to work on with all the vacume hoses, relays, and rails, (some working? or not) all out of the way. I say Desmog and don't look back. Save the equiptment in case the local smog rules change but other wise I don't think it's any harm done. My .02

What to do with the small pipe coming out of the down tube??? Is it bet go cut off and close it up somehow? Is the oxygen sensor still needed after desmogg?

On the carb, how best is it to remove the diaphram below the choke breaker? I understand this is done in a desmogg? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom