Denso OEM-style knock Sensor Deal FYI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was randomly searching across eBay for a used OEM knock sensor for an older Tacoma I was working on for a friend, and came across this.

I have purchased things on eBay before that have turned out to be fraudulently labeled as "Toyota," "OEM," "Denso," etc. So I began with a little skepticism. But upon further inspection of the pictures, I didn't see any tell-tale fakeness usually associated with knock-off parts. Having met my own standards of authenticity, I decided to order one for the 96 Tacoma I was working on, and also ordered 2 for my 80 series. Here is what I found upon arrival:

20210218_220342.jpg

These were advertised as "OEM Denso Rebox" items. As you can see from the labels, these appear to be old Delphi boxes. Nothing suspicious to me. Made in Japan is on the box, and each label has a distinctive lot or serial number in the upper right of the label. Often a fraudulent or fake part will have the same serial or lot number on every box in my experience.

20210218_220446.jpg

Upon opening each box, this is what I found. Again, nothing amiss. Three different sensors, different lot or batch numbers, and (maybe, not sure) the plant or factory number denoted by 71. However, the one thing that I did find surprising. The sensor on the right, still in factory packaging. But not Delphi, not Denso. Toyota. Now, most of the part number was removed, but it is clearly an OEM Toyota package. Bubble wrap packaging appears to be the same as what I deal with every day at work, and package is heat-sealed and unopened.

20210218_220221.jpg

20210218_220506.jpg

Sensors are clearly labeled as "Denso" in the same spot on all sensors. Additionally, they are coated with whatever dull coating most Toyota parts seem to have, including most of their bolts. Not shiny zinc, like most knock-off or aftermarket sensors.

20210218_220604.jpg

Took this pic just to show the plastic casting breaks are in the same spot. Nothing gives me pause.

I will add a couple more pictures, but I was mainly wanting to bring this to the 'Mud community's attention, due to the price. These were roughly $11 a piece, with free shipping. Factory sensors are about $125 a piece. Now to be fair, they are not what came on my LX450. Mine were not Denso. They had an "M" on them, and are just a tad bit longer. But I think they are quality replacement for my 24 year old sensors. I will update if I have any issue with them.

Also, for comparison. Here is a listing of used knock sensors from the same era on eBay for some 2JZ take-offs. Same markings. This listing is actually what sealed it for me that the ones I bought probably are authentic. Let me also say that if you think they are fraudulent, please say so, and as to why you believe it. I do not support fraudulent companies, and I do not want to perpetuate the sale of illegal parts. To me they appear to be New Old Stock but again, please PLEASE do your own research and don't just take my word for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this - despite the seller's extensive negative feedback and him calling people "dumb f*&!" for leaving negative feedback, I can roll the dice on $11.

LOL....I didn't even look at his feedback. Even with the snowstorm that rolled through last week it was shipped promptly and packaging was above standard. Can't vouch for his past sales, but mine went through without a hitch, and the transaction was quite uneventful. Hope this helps.

Previous thread, same topic, O'Reillys (Import Direct line of parts) sells what appears to be the exact same part as the Toyota original knock sensor found on the FZJ80 with a stylzed M (Matushita?) and ? lot code numbers, and Made in Japan:

Last edited:
I remember coming across your thread long ago but never found it again...thank you for cross-referencing and linking it to here!

Very cool! These don't appear to fit my 93' but good looking out either way! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom