Death Valley Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smritte

SILVER Star
Threads
I just got back from a four day trip into Coso/Death Valley.
There were 16 vehicles in this run. I normally don't like more than 5-6 so I was a bit apprehensive at the start. There was a pretty good mix of mostly Toyota's and a couple of Jeeps with 2 token Montero's. I was one of 3 FJ80's. Two of us were pulling trailers so, we got tail end.
Link to pictures https://goo.gl/photos/MH6SyCrYiZzoszwv8
These picture are being uploaded by the whole group. I will only have one or two to add.
My rig is the one pulling the white trailer.

We were meeting up in Lone Pine on Friday March 31. I got there Thursday around lunch time and went into the Alabama Hills to do some exploring (the early people were meeting there). The wind was blowing pretty hard and it was around 50 degrees. I cruised the area and headed over to a canyon against the hills and kicked it waiting to see if anyone showed early. By dark we had 4 vehicles and the wind got stronger. I ended up not putting up tent and slept in back of cruiser.

The weather report said, windy Thursday and mild on Friday. LIES! The wind was the same on Friday.
We all met up at a park in Lone Pine and with 16 vehicles we headed off to the Coso Range about 10(ish).
First stop was the spot where the band U2 got the name for the Joshua Tree album. Yes it was a Joshua tree. After that we made our way to a cabin up in a canyon for lunch and then drove to some fighter jet pieces down another canyon (which was a dead end). Turning around the trailer in a narrow canyon was a pain. Next stop was the desert madonna to camp for the night. The way there we drove through a Joshua tree "forest". There was no way to capture it on camera properly. It was real cool.

Arrived at camp site around 5pm. Had dinner and sat around fire until around 11pm. Went to bed and soon the wind came back. The weather report said 40-50mph with 70mph gusts. I have a RTT on a small trailer. I actually thought it was going to tip over. After getting up and making sure it was secured, I ended up back in the cruiser for the night.

Continued below

Last edited:
OK so Ive survived two wind storms and what can the desert throw at me now?
How about beautiful weather and sunshine.

Saturday morning we broke camp and headed into the Panamint Range with the Barker Ranch as our goal. The drive there was pretty smooth, we stopped in the town of Balarat for lunch and headed over to Barker Ranch.
At this point you probably haven't thought "I wonder if they ran into any issues with this many vehicles on some of those narrow roads". Yea well. There was a bit of "on coming traffic". The closer we got to Panamint, the worse it was. Taking lunch in Balarat was fine. Plenty of open space. When we got to Barker Ranch....it was already crowded. Funny how a large group of "SUV's can intimidate people. About an hour stop at the ranch, backtrack some, drive over Mengle Pass (spelling?) and on our way to the Geologist Cabin to camp.

Now I've been going to this area for literally decades and I have never seen the cabin. Not bad. I also didn't know that if you get there first, you raise the flag and that stakes your claim to it for the night. Sooooo....there was a flag up. The guy staying there, well even though its out in the open was a little put off having an army of vehicles pulling up and around it to take a look and sign the guest book. I guess this is what you get for staying at something like this.

Considering that was our intended camp for the night, we decided to head over to a place called "Warm Springs" (I think that was the name). Warm Springs is a nice camp spot with water and trees and some real old mining equipment and a cabin and a level cement pad to put my trailer and and....well I was tired. Made camp, ate dinner, sat by fire, went to bed and didn't explore area...Maybe next time.

Continued

We broke camp Sunday morning and drove out around 9ish. A small group of Toyota pickups wandered into our camp as we were leaving. We made our way out and to a place called "The Playa". I guess it's some weird language that must translate to "large dry lake with odd looking dirt piles that has to be 10 miles long you must drive around to get to where your going". At least the road was graded. Next stop, pavement and a place called "Artist's Palette". This is a one way, paved road winding through the hills. The hills have a cool mix of colors and would make great pictures if I didn't only have a phone camera with me.
Remember how earlier I mentioned we have a huge caravan with 2 trailers in the rear? People there were NOT happy with us taking all the parking and the area around the parking. Oh well, maybe they should have driven something better than a Camary or Prius. Large, dusty, lifted, SUV for the win . LDLSUV?
After making new friends (heh) at the tourist attraction we made our way into the town of Furnace Creek for fuel and lunch.
I have to mention, the temperature is climbing. Were sitting in the low 90's as opposed to the high 40's-low 50's of the first day. Not too bad
Next stop, Cottonwood Canyon for the night.

Continued

Last edited:
We sat at Furnace Creek Ranch (parking lot) for a couple of hours, Some people gassed up, the rest of us sat under shade tarps and a few went and got ice cream in the store. Our goal at this point was to make our way across, around and eventually end up in a place called Cottonwood Canyon. We were looking at a bit more pavement driving to the next town of Stove Pipe Wells before getting back to the dirt. On the way there we passed a spot called Devils Cornfield. I don't know how the bush's grow like that but, wow. We have been seeing the same type of brush pretty much everywhere. These for some reason grew tall and narrow with a raised dirt/sand base, spaced apart. And again, I didn't bring my nice camera. Drove past and around the corner was Mesquite Dunes. Theses are a small set of dunes with very sharp angles. Great picture opportunity. Did I mention I did not bring my camera?

Made our way to Stove Pipe wells for last gas top off and bathroom break.

Back to dirt. Followed along a "road" to the canyon entrance. We passed a few parked vehicles on the the route. The "lesser" types didn't make it into the canyon and were parked on the side. I found this odd until I saw my first group of Back Packers. I have packed my way across almost the entire Sierra range. I never wanted to walk the desert any more than I had to. That's why we have vehicles. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Back to the trip. We wound our way through the canyon until we came upon a large shelf off to the side. Perfect camp spot. Against the hill side, flat and plenty of room. No wind, temperature around 70 and shaded.

Recap on sleep
Night 1. maybe an hour or two
Night 2. Ehh same as above or less
Night 3. Woke up in the position I laid down. Don't remember falling asleep.
Night 4. Almost same as 3. Wish I had a moon roof in tent to watch stars.

Monday morning. Last day.
Milled around while breaking camp. Some people headed out in small groups. Most of them had around an eight plus hour drive to get home. Six of us drove back to Stove Pipe to air up and 3 of us left for home together. We went through Panamint Valley, stopping at the Pinnacles to look around then headed off home.

Over all the group dynamic was great. I only knew one person and was a bit apprehensive with this many people.
I had a blast and made some new friends. It started out cold and windy and turned out great.
The only issues we had were, the other "80" in the group, pulling a trailer, took a bad line and had to be strapped. I broke a shock on my trailer. That was all. Not bad if you ask me.

Scott

Last edited:
Great shots. Looks like a great bunch of rigs, and folks to wheel with.

I will, however, chastise you for posting an 80 being strapped up to a Jeeeeeeeppppp.

Yea I know. I was the one closest. If I didn't have my trailer I would have helped him. The jeep spun around and got into place pretty quick. Makes me wonder if he did it to say "hey look" "I made it over the obstacle and the Toyota didn't" "now I get to strap him" "no one pay attention to the fact that he has no lockers and I do" "oh and ignore the trailer"
Wait...did I say that out loud?

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom