Dead KZJ78- another “won’t start”…but with a twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just imported my KZJ78. I brought it back from Okinawa with no past issues other than rough starts below 55 degrees F. I picked it up from the port and drove it 9 hours straight with zero problems. Parked it overnight and drove it for a few miles more over the next few days with no problems. One colder morning around 50 F, I went to cold start it and it barely held onto an idle wanting to die. Now it doesn’t even want to try to run. Here’s what I’ve done and checked .

-All fuses good. Checked battery fuses as well.
-Changed glow plugs, checked that they’re getting voltage.
-pulled fuel filter and notice a LOT of crap in it. I’ve since put a new one in and filled it with fresh diesel but no start. I also hand primed it but it feels like there’s no vacuum and fairly easy to pump. After a few attempts at starting it, I pulled the two lines from the filter and they were dry as if no fuel was running through them.
- checked ohms on spiller valve. This is where I’m confused. I get 01.9 to 02.5 with it set at 200 and an audible beep on the multimeter. (See pic for reference on the setting I have it on) what does the beep mean and is it good? I don’t get readings from any other setting.
-pulled ECU and opened it to check capacitors. No leaks or signs of damage. Looks real clean.

Here’s another kicker. My glow plug light only comes on for a second and shuts off. (40 deg F)

Is it possible that the fuel pump is shot? Just looking for ideas I’d someone has been in my shoes or similar. Thanks in advance.

13BDBD04-3635-4A89-BF57-AB0778933BF0.jpeg

64D21154-3735-4C5A-97F0-055692BA042A.jpeg

701ED1AE-828D-4840-B15B-D1A17F9527E4.jpeg

56B63975-207B-48A5-BA7D-93CB93C044F3.jpeg

7974C239-5115-4A82-83B3-AEB8B40947A7.jpeg

958D0836-BDE6-4FCE-A09B-1C65DFB0683C.jpeg

Last edited:
your rig is more "fancy" probably so your glow light probably is correct since it isn't cold enough. you could try glow on, then off and glow again, then start. does your rig have a idle up screw? lower right side of the steering wheel. if so try adjusting the idle up and as the engine warms up re adjust the idle speed down again to around the 600-800rpm range.

your rig is more "fancy" probably so your glow light probably is correct since it isn't cold enough. you could try glow on, then off and glow again, then start. does your rig have a idle up screw? lower right side of the steering wheel. if so try adjusting the idle up and as the engine warms up re adjust the idle speed down again to around the 600-800rpm rangethank
your rig is more "fancy" probably so your glow light probably is correct since it isn't cold enough. you could try glow on, then off and glow again, then start. does your rig have a idle up screw? lower right side of the steering wheel. if so try adjusting the idle up and as the engine warms up re adjust the idle speed down again to around the 600-800rpm range.
thanks! I did try turning My ignition on and off a few times to get the glow plugs going but no luck. I also used the idle button but no luck.

Hi
Rather sounds like your fuel line still has air in it after you changed the fuel filter.
I'm not an expert on KZJs, but you said you tried to prime the fuel line. I suppose, the KZJ has a succing fuel pump close to the engine and not a pushing pump in the tank.
In general, you need to bleed the line and the new filter. Prefilling the filter is not sufficient. There should be a bleeder valve on the filter.
You then need to prime pump until fuel comes out bubblefree.
Priming may take quite a while: The line to the tank is long. When successful bled, the pump gets hard. If not hard yet, it's still has air in it.
If you suspect the priming pump to be dead, you may pull a line on it close by and try to suck some fuel from a container, using a piece of clear hose, to see if it works.
Get a manual for full and exact reference on the priming procedure.

This does not explain your previous cold start issue, though.

The beep on your multimeter indicates "no significant resistance". See the 'horn' symbol on your setting. Without knowing where you got that beep, its impossible to tell what it means to the subject.
Good luck

Hi
Rather sounds like your fuel line still has air in it after you changed the fuel filter.
I'm not an expert on KZJs, but you said you tried to prime the fuel line. I suppose, the KZJ has a succing fuel pump close to the engine and not a pushing pump in the tank.
In general, you need to bleed the line and the new filter. Prefilling the filter is not sufficient. There should be a bleeder valve on the filter.
You then need to prime pump until fuel comes out bubblefree.
Priming may take quite a while: The line to the tank is long. When successful bled, the pump gets hard. If not hard yet, it's still has air in it.
If you suspect the priming pump to be dead, you may pull a line on it close by and try to suck some fuel from a container, using a piece of clear hose, to see if it works.
Get a manual for full and exact reference on the priming procedure.

This does not explain your previous cold start issue, though.

The beep on your multimeter indicates "no significant resistance". See the 'horn' symbol on your setting. Without knowing where you got that beep, its impossible to tell what it means to the subject.
Good luck
Good points, sir. Thank you. I didn’t think about bleeding the fuel system as I thought the priming pump was efficient.

I got the multimeter reading from the spill valve.

My KZJ78 overseas had this issue after a batch of bad fuel and the drain valve under the lift pump (under the fuel filter) was dripping and this caused pressure loss. Started better with a full tank vs low fuel levels. There was an O ring in that valve that we replaced and it stopped the leak.

Another thought:
Don't know whether this applies to your injection pump: Mine has a little strainer in the fuel intake line.
If you had debris in your fuel line, this one might be clogged.
You may check the parts diagram and consult your manual on that one.
Best Regards Ralf

Fuel injection pumps rarely go bad overnight. I think the fuel system has a belly full of air somewhere. Remove the glow plugs and crank it over until fuel comes out each glowplug hole. It will crank fast with no compression and suck the fuel through.

Fuel injection pumps rarely go bad overnight. I think the fuel system has a belly full of air somewhere. Remove the glow plugs and crank it over until fuel comes out each glowplug hole. It will crank fast with no compression and suck the fuel through.
Never heard of removing glow plugs to bleed fuel, you crack the injector lines open till fuel comes out of each.

Never heard of removing glow plugs to bleed fuel,
Its in the 1HZ 1HD T FSM, although it says to remove 3 plugs only. When I started a freshly rebuilt engine, I left all 6 out. As the fuel was sucked through I could see all 6 injectors were getting fuel and the fuel was being atomised correctly. I replaced the plugs and it started immediately. It works, because with no plugs , it releases the compression. A lot of owners get flat batteries cranking with full compression and you end up with another problem on your hands.

Its in the 1HZ 1HD T FSM, although it says to remove 3 plugs only. When I started a freshly rebuilt engine, I left all 6 out. As the fuel was sucked through I could see all 6 injectors were getting fuel and the fuel was being atomised correctly. I replaced the plugs and it started immediately. It works, because with no plugs , it releases the compression. A lot of owners get flat batteries cranking with full compression and you end up with another problem on your hands.
Interesting, good to know.

If it's of any use also. I once had a lj78 and it would start and drive a little then shut off. We eventually found out the gas tank carries another filter in it and that filter got clogged so fuel wouldn't come up to the engine properly starving it. Dropped the tank and cleaned it and the filter and problem solved.

Never heard of removing glow plugs to bleed fuel, you crack the injector lines open till fuel comes out of each.
Yes , but not everyone has the pipe or crows foot spanners required, and because they are usually fairly tight you can mangle them using normal spanners. And you still have full compression wearing the battery down. You can do it either way.

Update for those who come across my post with the same symptoms. Mine was an easy fix. I changed my fuel filter cap assembly and it started right up. I purged air out first using the methods above and voila. One thing I did to find out my cap assembly was letting air into the system was I removed the fuel line going to the injector pump and ran diesel from a tube to a gas can. She started right up doing that so by removing the cap assembly and fuel filter out of the equation, I came to the conclusion it was letting air in. I bought my cap assembly without the fuel heater on partsouq.com using part number 2330154620. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom