Dead battery this morning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arich

Anthony. aka arich
Threads
Wake up a absolutely dead battery this morning. 12 month old Odyssey.
This has never happened before and can't figure out what I did.
Lights are on auto, nothing plugged into outlets, doors were unlocked, no interior lights left on.

Had this happen on a new '14 MDX.....

After multiple topping up with a battery tender and still problems, dealer replaced battery &
did something with the brains (they said). I think it was a bad battery.

If you put a multitester to it, what voltage does it read?

Your connections clean?

How long had the 200 been sitting, undriven? This happened to me after I realized I'd been undercharging the batteries, doors unlocked and I had let it sit for 5 days. I have a dual Odyssey battery setup. I don't think the alternator in the 200 works well with Odyssey batteries that like to see @14.4v when being charged. When the 5.7 engine is hot it seems the alternator likes to put out 13.2 to 13.5v in my 2014 200. I bought a diode from Australia that replaces the ALT-S fuse. This diode fools the alternator into putting out an additional .6v and this helps. I read somewhere on some forum.....Locking the doors also helps to prolong stored battery power. Leave it unlocked and you're leaving more things on.

When my batteries die, I may go back to regular flooded batteries.

Last edited:
Only sat over night. Everything fine with connections. I have 13.4v.
I must have left something on somehow. It's not like me not to lock the car. That's the variable. I thought everything was/is on a timer to prevent this.

One sanity check worth doing is checking for voltage drops/resistance between the battery terminal itself and downstream connections. Recently, my battery terminal voltage was just fine but I was only reading 5V a few inches away at the end of the military terminal where my alternator connection is. Even though the bolts seemed tight, they weren't tight enough. Everything was fine once I torqued down the hex keys on top of the military terminal as well as the nut that tightens the military terminal to the battery terminal. Everything looked perfect and was more than hand-tight yet there was still a problem.

13.4V is well above what should start the vehicle and/or at least power the accessories. If it seems totally dead but reads 13.4V I would start looking for a loose connection or blown main fuse

So... I'm curious what the solution was. Just ordered a new Odyssey group 31 AGM.

Have an aftermarket battery connection?

My set from Slee has been plaguing my 200 with battery issues over the past few months. Took me a long time to figure out what was going on, be realized there was a galvanic reaction occurring between the alloy bracket and the lead terminal. Sounds impossible, but sure enough that was it.

The Odyssey battery in question probably has brass posts like this. I do see what you mean about the different types of metal in my picture below. Alloy, Lead, brass....all in the flow there.

What did you do to fix your issue?

IMG_4072.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_0912.jpg
Not referring to the post on the battery. My corrosion occurred where the green circles are in this pic.

Have an aftermarket battery connection?

My set from Slee has been plaguing my 200 with battery issues over the past few months. Took me a long time to figure out what was going on, be realized there was a galvanic reaction occurring between the alloy bracket and the lead terminal. Sounds impossible, but sure enough that was it.

I've had the same issue.

How did you fix it?

If you're referring to me, I haven't fixed it yet. I disassembled the connection, cleaned it, and put it back together very tight. There's still a couple ohms of resistance between the battery post and the end of the military terminal. It's been a relatively new discovery. I'm looking for some replacement terminals.

Interesting. I had my battery die completely and ended up breaking a cell. Had it replaced under warranty but will be watching both my battery and this thread for possible fix. Thought it was just a fluke.

How did you fix it?

I took it apart, and cleaned with a wire wheel, then added dielectric grease.

Now I'm super nervous about it though until I find a better solution.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Slee's terminals?

Last edited:
One sanity check worth doing is checking for voltage drops/resistance between the battery terminal itself and downstream connections. Recently, my battery terminal voltage was just fine but I was only reading 5V a few inches away at the end of the military terminal where my alternator connection is. Even though the bolts seemed tight, they weren't tight enough. Everything was fine once I torqued down the hex keys on top of the military terminal as well as the nut that tightens the military terminal to the battery terminal. Everything looked perfect and was more than hand-tight yet there was still a problem.
Can't believe I never saw this, had the same issue, and same result. It was the military style terminals! Searched and never found this, dang it haha... Oh well, figured it out eventually. :bang:

If you're referring to me, I haven't fixed it yet. I disassembled the connection, cleaned it, and put it back together very tight. There's still a couple ohms of resistance between the battery post and the end of the military terminal. It's been a relatively new discovery. I'm looking for some replacement terminals.
Did you ever find good replacement terminals? Best case it would have at least one extra connection point. I looked but couldn't find anything that didn't seem cheaply made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom