@#$*% date change = no meeting for me! Info about trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys due to the date change I will not be able to make the upcoming meeting - had scheduled around it and pushed things until the next weekend (now the meeting date) but such is life!

I was going to share this at the meeting so here it goes,

I have been talking to Dave, Brad and Wayne and said that I was going to be looking up some information about the trails around my place up North. In some searching on the net I came across a local Offroad club, Mudder Inc., who are based out of the Parry Sound area. I fired off an email to their contact person and explain who I (we) was (were) and what we were looking for (ie. new trails and info about the ones we had found). He was very helpful and this is what I learn:

Many of the trails around here are snowmobile trails sanctioned by the OFSC and they have EXCLUSIVE use of them until May 31st.
After that, many of the trails that are not on private property are ok for use.
We generaly use the trails that branch both north and south from Ardbeg, sticking mainly to the hydroline trails.
Nippissing trail is ok ( after May 31st), but for the most part it cannot be traveled end to end by a Jeep. I've seen a lot of people try.

So, why May 31st.....

The OFSC uses the extended use time to repair trails and bridges after the snow is gone and to try to keep atvs and stuff off the trails when the frost is still coming out.
The Ardbeg trail north from Black Lake is not OFSC sanctioned, and some of the area just south of the lake is Ok too, as long as you don't go more than a few Kms down the trail, but about 70% of the south trail is the Main 'C' snowmobile trail and off-limts until after May31st.

The Mudders Inc. guy also extended an invitation to me (us) to join them at an annual event they host called the Roadkill BBQ - maybe some guys have been in the past? See the info below - maybe something we want to check out?

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=85599

There is also more information/ pictures on their website.

Mudder Inc.

FYI: The Nippissing Trail is the infamous trail the buried the PZ. Now, he said that it can't be traveled end to end in a Jeep... guess he forgot that I mentioned we were Cruiser heads...

That is about it for me - I guess we can discuss the results of the findings via this handy forums since I will not be able to make the up coming meeting.

j.

Hey J, great job on the research. We were actually up in Ardbeg last spring when they had the Roadkill BBQ going on. They had a ton of trucks there. We ran into a group of them that came into wheel and had a great talk with them. If you're interested in still getting together on the 22nd, we can do an informal get together and talk trucks. Let me know.
Dave

Yeah, I am up for an informal coffee to chat trucks on the 22nd - always good to get together with you guys. Same time 'ish?? I am in PTBO that morning and was planning on coming straight from there.

The guy I emailed (Randy Higgins) said Ardbeg is well used - he seemed to mention some other trails in the area but wasn't exactly throwing out trail head info. which I can understand after what you were saying about the abuse that has happened to some of the areas over the years.

j.

Last edited:
The trail that we were on and had to turn back was the Nippissing Rd. Trail - since it is part of the official OFSC trails it would be off limits until May 31st.

However, after the 31st it is fair game since it is not on private property so we are welcome to give it a try. Kinda bumed when I heard this but I don't want to kick up sh*t in my own backyard.

had to turn back due to the nasty looking hole ahead of us
or
decided to turn back due to the time restraints?

i call BS on trail maintainence but more to "who the hell would want to be here when the bugs come out?"

okay, so if we are going to be challenging Waynes "damn that is deep" trail we will have to have winches that are working well on a few of the trucks, some serious ropes and tugg'ms, a couple chain saws, a couple portable sand bridges would be nice to keep the terrain damage down...

this will really become a WSSR to remember...

i strongly recommend everyone have the FSR in their vehicles...

The big hole trail is the Nippissing Rd. Trail - but in any case both trails we were on are OFSC trails meaning out of bounds until after the 31st.

According to the guy I spoke with the only trails that would be "open" for wheeling in April would be one of the trails in Ardbeg but even that one is limited as it runs into an OFSC trail.

j.

Not to worry, we'll find somewhere to wheel in April. There is alot of fun to be had on the North trail at Ardbeg. There are lots of rock climbs and mud holes within 10 mins. of where we camp.
Dave

Lotsa mud around Bell lake...but don't we H8Mud?

Where is Bell lake? Any good trails, a place to camp or just a mud hole to play in?

If this wind keeps up things should be dry in the next day or two!

But seriously, we should probably look at pushing the date back for the WSSR if we want to give the "damn that is a big hole" trail. Don't want to get kicked off the trails for the whole year just because we couldn't wait a month for things to dry out a little. Plus, as an OFSC member (and trail pass holder) I don't want to get blacklisted for the rest of my life if I can caught on the trails when they are not officially opened.

Likelyhood of anyone being on the trail when we are there, slim - but then there is always Murphy....

j.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom