Dangerous VSC failure on 2001 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have an update on this problem? I have read the other threads I found in a search and don't really see any definite root cause. Im on a roadtrip from CO to CA and this just started happening.

On the bright side my bakes don't kick in, or at least not yet. The VSC light and beep come on, sometimes for 30 seconds, on dry pavement driving straight at low speeds (less than 30 miles an hour). Happened twice today.

Good news. I worked with Toyota Customer Service, went back to the original dealer I had no results with
and the problem got resolved. I went to the main service manager and explained the problem. He said he had someone who could fix it. A "service supervisor" listened to the issues and asked me to leave the
vehicle. He called the next am to say that the RF wheel speed sensor was frozen. He was hesitant order the part, but I OK'd the order, because whatever else was wrong it was needed. When they installed it the problem was totally gone. I just needed to get to talk to someone who understood the system. I was always very patient and courteous, but the service writers would bring out mechanics who really didn't understand the system a well as I did. They should have figured that out so I didn'dt have to mess with this for 2 years, but all's well that ends well. I am once again happy with my Cruiser.

Glad you got it fixed. It sounds like what 1loudLX suggested it was back on the 1st reply of this thread. Props out to him for his skillz :cheers::beer:.

thanks for the feedback
good to know
in FAQ

Great to hear... I had a problem like that with my BMW (emissions problem that kept throwing the check engine light which meant I couldn't pass emissions)... my mechanic had the good sense to send me straight to the dealer because all he could do was start replacing parts at my cost.

It took the BMW dealer 2 tries to get it fixed... with the second try being no-charge labor and X3 loaner for the week since they were very confident that they fixed it the first time. It was pretty amazing service by a dealership on a 10+ year old car.

I'll buy my next BMW from them if at all possible and refer them to friends & family (too bad for them though that BMW doesn't make disposable automobiles).

Since I was mentioned...

My 3rd trip to the dealership and it's fixed.

It was the "engine harness".. I don't have a p/n unfortunately but the guy explained it as the "tree" of harnesses connecting most sensors (steering, speed, yaw, etc) and the ECU. It was like a 2-3 days job.

Not an issue since!!! ... well, except for the unrelated scratches from wheeling that a body shop is now rectifying..got a little tight going to the top... :meh:

Going to resurrect this old thread...Long time 80 owner. I just acquired a free 2000 LX470 from my wife's uncle. I was driving it from Houston back home to CO. I had 3 instances on the highway, mostly going downhill at about 70mph just as my foot was grazing the brake pedal. The VSC light flashed, beeping, severe braking, engine de-throttle and swerved all over the highway. Was terrified the first time it went off and was more prepared and in control on the second and third time. Wife's uncle is the original owner, he's never experienced this....I have a few thoughts:

1. The check engine light was on when I picked it up. PO said it was an o2 sensor, so I didn't think anything of it. Upon bringing it home and checking the codes, I found two codes. Neither being an o2 sensor. P0715 O/D Direct clutch speed sensor and P0770 shift solenoid E. I cleared codes and have been driving around town at slow speeds and the P0715 came back on...could this sensor cause the dreaded VSC failure?

2. Upon getting home, I also noticed the passenger wheel well looked a bit "larger". I tested the AHC when I picked up the car in Houston. It seemed to work well...but upon inspection in CO it appears the passenger rear corner did not lower to N. I fooled around with the AHC and it took 10-12 cycles to get that corner to lower from H to N...and it's still about an inch taller than the driver side? Could this suspension imbalance have caused the VSC failure? Do the height sensor's need to be adjusted from time to time?

The wife's current DD is a '96 LX450 with 250k. The LX470 was supposed to be an upgrade, but I'm afraid to let her drive it with the kiddos in the car!

For some vehicle background...this LX has been used as a "farm truck" for the past 16 years. It has 255k miles. Engine and tranny rebuild done last year. This car has never been offroad, but it has been used pretty hard as a farm truck. I know they use Defender's for farm trucks in the UK, but LX470...who knew?!?! Lots of body dings, bumper dings and a bit of a drivetrain clunk.

On a brighter note, i was excited to see 17mpg from Houston to Breckenridge going 80mph with the AC blasting!

i set off the VSC beeps all the time taking turns on offramps

That is good to know. I set mine off a few weeks ago coming down Teton Pass. This was right after lift and it had never done it on pavement before lift. It was only doing it when I was cornering to the left, it didn't do it cornering to the right.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom