Daily drive high mileage 1st gen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all

First please forgive me if this has been discussed. I’m not asking if I should but, I’m asking thoughrs on daily driving and road tripping and towing with a 2005 sequoia.

I’m looking to get rid my car payment. The sequoia fits the bill. Found a 2005 with 160k mi. Complete Toyota service records. It’s had 3-4 check engine lights, all remedied. Regular oil changes, like impressive. I don’t see ball joints in the service . It has air suspension but looks like bags replaced in 5/2019 at the dealership

I’d like to daily drive, like totally take the place of my truck that’s a 750/mo car payment. Tow a 4 seat RZR. Road trips with my 2yr old. Willing to do some updating and repairs.

Thanks and please don’t kill me for posting if it’s been answered. If you tell me where to look I’ll do it. I’m just bad at searching

Last edited:
Do it! I bought an ‘09 LX570 in spring of last year and realized it was pretty silly for me, as the payment didn’t justify the use I got from it. I picked up an ‘05 with 162k from the TX/NM border in October and drove it back to San Antonio smooth as butter. I’m almost at 169k now and daily it with no problems. The 2UZ is so reliable and these trucks have been around long enough where there is a ton of support for them if anything goes wrong.

Mine probably needs ball joints but I think that’ll be remedied when I decide to lift it. I think if you’ve got good records - especially for timing belt, you’ve got very little to worry about. I’ve also towed a bit with it and it’s been fine. Great wheelbase to tow with I’m sure. It’s down on power but it’s never anything I noticed coming from the LX.

You won’t regret it man.

Do it! I bought an ‘09 LX570 in spring of last year and realized it was pretty silly for me, as the payment didn’t justify the use I got from it. I picked up an ‘05 with 162k from the TX/NM border in October and drove it back to San Antonio smooth as butter. I’m almost at 169k now and daily it with no problems. The 2UZ is so reliable and these trucks have been around long enough where there is a ton of support for them if anything goes wrong.

Mine probably needs ball joints but I think that’ll be remedied when I decide to lift it. I think if you’ve got good records - especially for timing belt, you’ve got very little to worry about. I’ve also towed a bit with it and it’s been fine. Great wheelbase to tow with I’m sure. It’s down on power but it’s never anything I noticed coming from the LX.

You won’t regret it man.
Nice! Thanks. I live in satx for a while, went to school there. My aunt owns a bar in boerne.

I have an amazing Toyota mechanic but wanted to do maintenance myself

Nice! Thanks. I live in satx for a while, went to school there. My aunt owns a bar in boerne.

I have an amazing Toyota mechanic but wanted to do maintenance myself
That’s awesome. Yeah it’s easy as far as I can tell. I’ve done oil, diff fluid, and brakes. Had a “reliable” supercharged AMG before the LX, and it was a STEEP learning curve for me, and constantly broken. Super fun but I got more gray hairs than my little ones have given me. The Sequoia is like a lawn mower in comparison for sure.

I just ditched a 2020 Tacoma with 17,000 on it for an ‘03 Sequoia with 217,000 as a DD. ZERO regrets. Do it and don’t look back!

I just ditched a 2020 rebel and bought an 06 tundra. The rebel is a bad ass truck but for 12k you can't beat the 4.7 on the tundra. Just change the timing belt every 90 kand if you get check engine lights from the secondary air pump or pump valves by a bypass kit and move on. Easy diy job.

2006 SR5 that will go over 216k tomorrow when I drive north to Philly. After catching up a ton of deferred maintenance it drives like new. Saw a wrecked 2005 Limited in the junkyard last weekend with 347k.

LOL 160k is not high miles. Not even close. These trucks run 400-500k easy and some have hit 1,000,000.

I'll double down on what others have said. 160k really isn' thigh miles on the 4.7. Ball joint, and timing belt every 85/90k is pretty much it.

I was in a similar boat, got out of a Lexus payment and paid cash for a 03 Sequoia LTD with 215k on it about 6 years ago and the wife DD'd it up to 250k with our 5 kids / dog and I regularly towed a 7k lb boat behind it. You'll be totally fine.

It's been replaced by a 3rd gen Plat with 255k on it now mainly due to kids and boat getting bigger. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom