Dadeville just got a new FJ40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm still learning the ropes on where to post, what's available, etc. I thought I'd try Dixieland for local info and support. You might have seen I picked up a 82 from Fayetteville, GA. I can already see some immediate changes, new bolts (several colors on this one), lower suspension (4 inch down to 2 inch), and less aggressive tires.
My first issue is the steering, it's got some 3-4 inches of play in it which I hope can be corrected. Thanks in advance and hope to see more FJ40s out and able. I can be contacted at 256 786 2244, George Amonette

Welcome!
If you’re ready to get some dirt in the tires, bring to a ride this weekend! Oddly enough, there is TWO groups going to different locations, so come on up! Choccolocco is very close to you, and the ACC shop is having their Reunion ride this weekend.
Another group is heading to Hawk Pride and will no doubt have fun as well!
WELCOME! hope you can make our meetings and or rides!!!

I'm still learning the ropes on where to post, what's available, etc. I thought I'd try Dixieland for local info and support. You might have seen I picked up a 82 from Fayetteville, GA. I can already see some immediate changes, new bolts (several colors on this one), lower suspension (4 inch down to 2 inch), and less aggressive tires.
My first issue is the steering, it's got some 3-4 inches of play in it which I hope can be corrected. Thanks in advance and hope to see more FJ40s out and able. I can be contacted at 256 786 2244, George Amonette
Nice to meet you George. I was just down in your area last week on the lake. Me and a buddy rode through the Coosa WMA and found a lot of nice tree seeing trails and went up to Flagg Mountain.

We usually do a Club Wrench Day every other month or so. We'd be glad to help you out with your list on your new 40 and help show you the ropes. Is this your first Land Cruiser? Post up some pictures for us. Welcome!

Welcome and you need to post up some pics!

I'm also new to the Land Cruiser game (1988 FJ62). And, I'm also in Alabama. Looking forward to meeting others and learning a new platform (I've touched/repaired/replaced pretty much EVERY part on my 1988.5 Suzuki Samurai. But, this FJ is all new to me (though, with lots of similarities on a slightly larger scale)).
AmyInJackie.jpg

I'm also new to the Land Cruiser game (1988 FJ62). And, I'm also in Alabama. Looking forward to meeting others and learning a new platform (I've touched/repaired/replaced pretty much EVERY part on my 1988.5 Suzuki Samurai. But, this FJ is all new to me (though, with lots of similarities on a slightly larger scale)).View attachment 2131278
Welcome @BamaRob, great looking 62! What part of AL are you in?

Dadeville is close by. Lots of 40s in the group!
I'm also new to the Land Cruiser game (1988 FJ62). And, I'm also in Alabama. Looking forward to meeting others and learning a new platform (I've touched/repaired/replaced pretty much EVERY part on my 1988.5 Suzuki Samurai. But, this FJ is all new to me (though, with lots of similarities on a slightly larger scale)).View attachment 2131278
saw you post that on the DLC facebook page. Nice ride!

Hope you guys can make a meeting sometime. The next one is:
Dixieland Cruisers - TLCA - November Club Meeting
Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 6 PM
Billy's Sports Grill

Home is in Glen Allen (right on Marion/Fayette County line, about 1/2 way between Birmingham and Tupelo). Work is in Tuscaloosa.

Welcome @BamaRob, great looking 62! What part of AL are you in?

Home is in Glen Allen (right on Marion/Fayette County line, about 1/2 way between Birmingham and Tupelo). Work is in Tuscaloosa.
Very cool, I've got a deer lease a little West of you in Sulligent. How long have you had your 62? Any plans for it yet?

Very familiar with the Sulligent area. The 62 popped up in a random post on the Alabama Overland Facebook group on Oct. 15. The guy that posted it had just spotted it on the street at a town festival. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to inquire. I bought it on Oct. 17. My primary offroad rig is a 1988.5 Suzuki Samurai (moderately built, climbs like a goat, loads of fun... but, lacking creature comforts... most notably cabin space and A/C). I had a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick 4-door 4WD 5-speed that I was planning to fix up for my wife as a light duty offroad and dirt road riding rig. However, though she can drive a manual, she wanted an automatic. That, along with several other "gotchas" had held up the build on the Sidekick and it sat for 3 years pretty much untouched. When the FJ62 popped up on the radar, she fell in love with it and we had to have it. The following weekend, a guy came 9+ hours from Florida and got the Sidekick. The plan for it is for a solid, dependable dirt/gravel road rig with occasional "overland" type stuff. I don't plan to put it in the rocks like I do the Samurai. We'd love to get a small, light, retro, Shasta style, color matched camper to pull behind it (we LOVE visiting state/national parks). If that works out, we'll likely sell our motorhome and the 62 + camper will be our primary camping setup.

I've been in the Suzuki game for a few years now, and am intimately familiar with those rigs. I've done rebuilds on engines, transmissions, transfer cases (regeared with lower gear sets), differentials, axles, steering knuckles, etc. on the Samurai. There are LOTS of similarities, drivetrain-wise, between the Suzukis and FJ's. The FJ's are just bigger. :) Honestly, if I could find a relatively rust free FJ40 that I can afford, I'd likely sell the Samurai (though, it'd be tough... lots of blood, sweat, tears and loads of FUN tied up in my Samurai).

We're always looking for dirt road routes that we can LEGALLY ride. We call it "dirt road therapy" and try to get a little "therapy" at least once a month. You got any good trails/roads you'd suggest?

Is that 40 in your profile pic yours? Got any leads on 40's for sell in our area? I know where one is in a barn that is immaculate. But, he knows what it's worth and so do his grandsons. ;) So, I doubt I'll ever have a chance at owning it.

Very cool, I've got a deer lease a little West of you in Sulligent. How long have you had your 62? Any plans for it yet?

:) Just realized who I was having this conversation with 16 months ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom