Cxracing headers manifold gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My exhaust is leaking at the manifold gasket and the gaskets on the bottom of the header are also leaking.

The headers are aftermarket stainless headers installed by the PO. I do not know what brand they are.

Do I use OEM gaskets to fix the two leaks or do I need aftermarket gaskets because the headers are aftermarket?

Can anybody tell me what brand these headers are by looking at these pictures?

20220716_114355.jpg
20220716_114351.jpg

I got to get these leaks fixed along with a few other small items before hunting season rolls around in October.

Thanks

CRX headers?

Picture from an Ebay ad, they call them CX:

1657994530751.png

Um,... why wouldn't they just design the mount plate to cover that? What am I missing here? Are they designed generically to fit a bolt pattern of multiple years / options? That makes no sense to me,

Um,... why wouldn't they just design the mount plate to cover that? What am I missing here? Are they designed generically to fit a bolt pattern of multiple years / options? That makes no sense to me,

Maybe they did design the mount plate to use an oem gasket, I just don't know and I want to make sure I am using the right gasket before I tear into it.

CRX headers?

Picture from an Ebay ad, they call them CX:

View attachment 3060626

Thanks, that does look like them. Mine were that shiny when I got the rig lol. I will probably call CX next week and see what they say about gaskets.

Note that these clock off the EGR flow from the back of #6 cylinder exhaust.
I had to switch out the 4 bolts at the 3-to-1 connections. The lock washers lost their temper due to heat and the vibration made the loosen. Used stainless bolt and double-nutted. Bottom nut with lock ridges, top nut with a different thickness to decouple the resonance.
1657995985042.png
1657996011595.png
1657996011595.png

Note that these clock off the EGR flow from the back of #6 cylinder exhaust.
I had to switch out the 4 bolts at the 3-to-1 connections. The lock washers lost their temper due to heat and the vibration made the loosen. Used stainless bolt and double-nutted. Bottom nut with lock ridges, top nut with a different thickness to decouple the resonance.
View attachment 3060662View attachment 3060663View attachment 3060663

Good to know, thanks for the tip. I will swap the hardware while changing the gaskets.

I was aware of the blocked off egr flow. That's why I bought the egr test plug from hudd expo, no more check engine light now that I properly diagnosed the egr sensor. 😉

So I am 99% sure my headers are cxracing headers. I have been trying to contact them to verify what gaskets to use but they won't answer my calls, return voicemails, or return emails.

I guess I am just going to order an OEM manifold gasket and call it a day.

But I am still unsure what kind of gasket I need for the bottom of the header / collector flange.

Does anybody know what gaskets I would need for the collector flange on the cxracing headers?

Thanks

I think they are 2.5" after the 3-to-1 then 3" after that. So 2.5" exhaust gasket
Amazon product ASIN B0785GSK7G
Picture from my kit, pretty poor but there you go.

1658190355732.png

I used the manifold gasket that came with the kit. Above picture has them sticking gout to the upper left. Close up of #6 from below posted here:
1658793574480.jpeg

I used the manifold gasket that came with the kit. Above picture has them sticking gout to the upper left. Close up of #6 from below posted here:
View attachment 3069118

Interesting, my rig does not have that style of gasket your talking about. My rig currently has a metal gasket that looks more like the oem gasket.

I wish the company would answer their phone or email so I could get an answer on what kind of gasket to use.

I am going to go forward with a new oem gasket and see how it works out.

Interesting, my rig does not have that style of gasket your talking about. My rig currently has a metal gasket that looks more like the oem gasket.

I wish the company would answer their phone or email so I could get an answer on what kind of gasket to use.

I am going to go forward with a new oem gasket and see how it works out.
Did you ever get a result on this? I have this exhaust system on mine as well. I had a major leak on the one of the flex joints last summer. The headers looked to be in great shape so I reached out to CXRacing and they sold me a new downpipe. I had it installed by a shop that was already working on my AC. About a month or 2 later I went on a camping trip from Texas to Colorado and when I rolled into CO, I could hear a little exhaust leak. On my way home, it got worse and I pulled into a tiny town in west Texas to fuel up and when I popped the hood, my relocated washer bottle near the firewall was melted down. I found that one of the gaskets between the header and downpipe had blown out. When I looked closer, one of the bolts had loosened and the nut on bottom had fallen off somewhere. I found an auto parts store and bought new nuts, lock washers, and bolts and got it tight and was able to make it home with no further damage. Fast forward...I took it back to the shop that installed it and they cleaned it up and reinstalled the downpipe again. I picked it up and drove 15 miles before it blew the gasket again. It seems like the 2 flanges between the headers and the downpipe aren't exactly flush so when 1 is flush the other is off a few degrees but if you loosen it and flush up the 2nd flange the 1st one is off. I've reached out CXRacing to ask if there are certain gaskets that are required for this and haven't heard back. You would think that the "flex joint" would allow them BOTH to be flush...
CXR.jpg
CXR2.jpg
CXR3.jpg
CXR4.jpg

I just used some exhaust gaskets from the local parts store in-between my header and down pipe with new hardware. Also a new oem manifold gasket and new oem studs and I have not had any leaks sense than.

I just used some exhaust gaskets from the local parts store in-between my header and down pipe with new hardware. Also a new oem manifold gasket and new oem studs and I have not had any leaks sense than.
That's good to hear. Do you recall what size the gaskets were at the flange connections from header to downpipe? I think I'll try to replace those with new hardware as well and see how it goes. I saw another post where the guy used a little longer bolts and double nutted them to keep them from backing off as he was having issues with heat and vibration loosening up even with lock washers.

Everytime you remove or install exhaust components you should be using new locking nuts. Do not reuse the old ones. Don't use copper ones. Stick to steel or stainless steel. You can get the split top locking exhaust nuts from Toyota. Or you can find them on Amazon and ebay too.

Here's a decent set on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3NTGxQi

Some on Ebay: https://ebay.us/xR0toE

Everytime you remove or install exhaust components you should be using new locking nuts. Do not reuse the old ones. Don't use copper ones. Stick to steel or stainless steel. You can get the split top locking exhaust nuts from Toyota. Or you can find them on Amazon and ebay too.

Here's a decent set on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3NTGxQi

Some on Ebay: https://ebay.us/xR0toE
Both times mine were installed with new gaskets and hardware. The first time on my roadtrip it backed off all the way and I lost the nut and washer on the road somewhere.

I'll check these out. Thanks

That's good to hear. Do you recall what size the gaskets were at the flange connections from header to downpipe? I think I'll try to replace those with new hardware as well and see how it goes. I saw another post where the guy used a little longer bolts and double nutted them to keep them from backing off as he was having issues with heat and vibration loosening up even with lock washers.
Here are the gaskets I used along with new stainless bolts and double nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom