Cut the FAT....80 series on a diet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So how does it make sense to take the doors off if it is a pain to get them back on? Jeeps, 40's and mini trucks have light doors so it makes sense for them. But us 80's it looks like it would be tough.

So how does it make sense to take the doors off if it is a pain to get them back on? Jeeps, 40's and mini trucks have light doors so it makes sense for them. But us 80's it looks like it would be tough.

NO WAY I'm dealing with taking those things on and off, lol. I'd do tube doors or a completely shelled and chopped half door. IF I was going to have two sets of doors, the fulls would be for the "winter" (below 70 deg. So Cal:flipoff2:) and the tubes for the rest of the year. I could manage doing the door thing once a year. I just wouldn't want to not have some type of structure at my side (no doors), looks and feels cool, but you wouldn't have anything to aid you in the event of a roll over/flop, situation where you're up against some pointy rocks and No despite what you may believe, sticking your hand out to push off the rock or stop the car from rolling is not going to work, lol.

and No despite what you may believe, sticking your hand out to push off the rock or stop the car from rolling is not going to work, lol.

LOL. For real? that don't work?

The doors are absolutely too heavy to be taking off and putting back on... plus the plug for the electronics are not eawsy to finnagle either... it's either take off and stay off for a long time or leave on.

Have you ever taken a set of 40 doors off? They ain't light. I'm bettin' they weigh more than 80 doors.

Have you ever taken a set of 40 doors off? They ain't light. I'm bettin' they weigh more than 80 doors.

I have and they don't... They still aren't fun though! Heck, mini truck doors aren't fun to put on! Mine will have tube doors eventually...

No I haven't. It's based purely on my observations. Can't imagine 40 doors weighing more than 50 pounds.

I weigh the equivalent of five 80 series doors.

No I haven't. It's based purely on my observations. Can't imagine 40 doors weighing more than 50 pounds.

I haven't picked mine up in a few years but I bet they are close to that. How much do 80 series doors weigh? Mine feel light opening and closing...they feel a lot lighter than 60 series doors it seems.

A few pics I've been meaning to post up. Front end is totally apart. replaced a few bent pieces from when I rolled the rig. also trimmed the inner fenders and front radiator support. Removed A/C comp. and all attachments tubes, etc. New Rad. and a few pounds shaved. I'm running out of places to cut weight in the front. The rear still has A LOT to loose. Stay tuned.
IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg

Time for Coil Overs?

Time for a wash....Yuk!

Time for Coil Overs?
:grinpimp: , Welding on your back seems to always result in sparks finding their way to the skin despite protection:censor:. I'll get a few pics up.
Time for a wash....Yuk!

No thanks...I'll wash the body after a run, but I've given up on keeping her "clean." I think she prefers to be dirty.:beer:

i absolutely love the doors on my humvee. they are not exactly light. but whts makes them so nice is how easy they are to lift off.

i know the 80 doors are heavy but if simple removable brackets were made they would be a sinch to remove.

basicly a 3/8" hole with a pin. tip of pin is tapered and the hole/pin fit is a little on the "not tight" side. I can dissassemble (remove) all four doors in about a minute.

better for fighting a war I guess

Last edited:
So I ended up kinda rushing and doing coilovers in the rear of the 80 and although they are not setup correctly (need heavier springs and will redo the mounts eventually) they are SO much better than my old coil and shock setup. only have these two pics for now, enjoy.
Rubithon 2010 002.jpg
Rubithon 2010 003.jpg

Nice... Pants ;p

Dusty post up some pics of the hummer door brackets. Is it something that can be fabbed for an 80 maybe? I know on my samurai we just cut off top of bracket, just lift em straight up & there off.

Nice... Pants ;p

Those are Knickers Lenny. Why not just post up your apron huh?

He wears them to ride that banana board in the upper right of the pic.

Those are Knickers Lenny. Why not just post up your apron huh?

He wears them to ride that banana board in the upper right of the pic.

That apron is a work of art!! I got some bike shorts ( pearl Izumi ) that I know you are dying to see me in ! Picture long speedos with a maxi pad. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom