cut off rear frame or replace with used one?

I have some holes that have recently apeared in the rear frame of my bj60 and was curios if I can save a substantial amount of time just cutting off the rear frame behind the corrision and replace it with another part of a frame or just take the body off of it and replace the frame?

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
probably replace the whole frame.. But it really depends on what the rest of the frame looks like..

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
post up some pics of the rust. Depends where it is. Some areas may be able to be cut out and repaired. Such as the back channels can be removed and new metal put in.

brownbear,

The flaking and delamination of the inside frame rails is visable inside the inspection hole as viewed though the rear wheel well opening. ITs piled with at least 1/2 of rust flakes inside the tube. Idealy, it would make sence just to cut out sections of the frame and then weld in new sections. Alot less work. The back channels definatly need to be removed as thay are also delaminated at the boundry layer and look like a telephone book :) Where can I get these back channels? I know of somone in Colorado that has some good 60 parts. BTW your truck looks great. Did you have any holes in the wheel wells also?

All I know is I need to do something about the body more then the frame some areas are being taken over by cancer and need to be cut out and replaced.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
brownbear,

The flaking and delamination of the inside frame rails is visable inside the inspection hole as viewed though the rear wheel well opening. ITs piled with at least 1/2 of rust flakes inside the tube. Idealy, it would make sence just to cut out sections of the frame and then weld in new sections. Alot less work. The back channels definatly need to be removed as thay are also delaminated at the boundry layer and look like a telephone book :) Where can I get these back channels? I know of somone in Colorado that has some good 60 parts. BTW your truck looks great. Did you have any holes in the wheel wells also?

All I know is I need to do something about the body more then the frame some areas are being taken over by cancer and need to be cut out and replaced.

The channels(inside part) could be made fairly easy.

I had 0 rust in the well. Only rust I had was on the lip of the well to the fender.

If you search around in here you will see repairs done to well wheels. Especially around the rear seat bracket area(bad areas on BJs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom