Crash aftermath strategy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The insurance company is Michigan Millers. I had this vehicle insured under my business's auto insurance policy since i occasionally used it for work.

i may see if i can buy back the wheels and tires, but i'm not interested in buying it back to part out. i doubt i could profit enough to make it worth my time.

thats a good settlement, especially since the wreck was your fault. The person you hit will file against your insurance as well, probably a total loss too.

How much will your premiums be going up? Might not be that good of a deal when the dust settles.

i have no clue how much they will go up. how would i? and they are going up either way. the settlement and the premium jump are unrelated issues.
and michigan is a no-fault insurance state. so the most the other driver will be able to get out of my insurance company is reimbursement for whatever their deductible is.

So in Michigan if you run into the rear of someone at 40 mph and total their vehicle, they have to pay? That's wack.

That's exactly how it works, the state also requires very comprehensive coverage so Michigan auto premiums are some of the highest in the nation.

So in Michigan if you run into the rear of someone at 40 mph and total their vehicle, they have to pay? That's wack.

yeah, i think it sucks too. just to clarify, if you are not at fault, you usually don't have to pay anything. but your insurance company pays for the damage to your own vehicle and any injury related costs you incur. the other party's insurance will pay any deductible you may have, and all of the related expenses on their end. so basically your insurance covers your stuff and mine covers mine, regardless of who's at fault.

There are several states that use that system:
"Currently 12 states and Puerto Rico have no-fault auto insurance laws. Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania have verbal thresholds. The other seven states—Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota and Utah—use a monetary threshold."-www.iii.org

There are several states that use that system:
"Currently 12 states and Puerto Rico have no-fault auto insurance laws. Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania have verbal thresholds. The other seven states—Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota and Utah—use a monetary threshold."-www.iii.org
While technically true, this type of law varies significantly state by state. I know here in Kansas this applies to personal injuries due to an accident and not the settlement for damages (Personal Injury Protection). Meaning any injury you suffer from said accident will be covered by your insurance (regardless of whose at fault). If somebody damaged my vehicle and it was determined they are at fault by the LEO, their insurance would cover the damages. Of course if the LEO filing the accident report determines it is a 'no fault' or 'your are at fault' accident, you and/or your insurance is on the hook to cover your damages.

Nonetheless, good luck searching for your replacement rig! That one will be hard to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom