Crankshaft position sensor wiring issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I had a crank-no start issue on my 2004 LX470 ~160k miles. It gave a code of P0335 (crankshaft position sensor, "CPS"). I pulled the error code diagnostics from Motor.com for the make and year and followed the diagnostic pathway. Checked the sensor and the resistance was within spec. Went to check the wiring and saw that it does look like someone had to repair the wire from the accessory belt rubbing the CPS wire at some point. No history of repair in Lexus history report. Anyway, I went to check for open and short in the wire but that's where I found a discrepancy in the diagnostic algorithm from Motor.com and the car. I've attached the photos here but "NE-" wire is not in the location it says from the diagnostic algorithm (red arrow in picture on the wiring harness side of the computer). Also, the "NE+" doesn't appear to have continuity with either of the wires from wiring harness side of the sensor itself. Any advice? Does anyone have a physical manual they can cross check with?
Also, there is clearly a wire that looks like hell on the wiring harness side of the computer (green arrow in picture). Any idea how to find what that goes to so I can see how it is doing as well??
Just as an update, after putting everything back together the crank-no start has resolved, so it is an intermittent crank-no start.
I appreciate any advice!!
LX470P0335.png
PXL_20201017_190830775_3.jpg

Last edited:
99% chance you have the wrong connector in your hand. LX and LC will have different numbers in the books, where your E6 could very well be my E7. At the same time, the letters associated with them will be the same across models. E5(a) in one can be the E6(a) in the other.

I'm thinking its the connector to the left of the middle one, assuming the middle is what you have in your hand. OR just look for the one that has positions 21 and 22 in the color you're looking for, which should be blue and green.

for late LC it is in fact the middle connector, I just looked. same positions, blue and green. Your picture or tables could be wrong. OR both of us are wrong. The one consensus is that positions 21 and 20 are filled and that the colors most likely match the LC wiring book.

techstream can tell you if the sensor is working, (engine speed)
then check sensor, then check the pick up wheel, not sure if you can spray it down without too much effort.

thinking some more, it really should be the middle connector in both LX and LC. you have the middle in your hand?

there are lots of shielded wires around that look like that, with the tape.

99% chance you have the wrong connector in your hand. LX and LC will have different numbers in the books, where your E6 could very well be my E7. At the same time, the letters associated with them will be the same across models. E5(a) in one can be the E6(a) in the other.

I'm thinking its the connector to the left of the middle one, assuming the middle is what you have in your hand. OR just look for the one that has positions 21 and 22 in the color you're looking for, which should be blue and green.

for late LC it is in fact the middle connector, I just looked. same positions, blue and green. Your picture or tables could be wrong. OR both of us are wrong. The one consensus is that positions 21 and 20 are filled and that the colors most likely match the LC wiring book.

techstream can tell you if the sensor is working, (engine speed)
then check sensor, then check the pick up wheel, not sure if you can spray it down without too much effort.

thinking some more, it really should be the middle connector in both LX and LC. you have the middle in your hand?

there are lots of shielded wires around that look like that, with the tape.
Thanks a TON for your input. That is the middle connector in the photo. The other connectors all have different patterns and this appears to be the only ECM connector matching the layout of the diagram I downloaded. I'm not sure where to go from here. Engine speed reads fine on my BlueDriver. Thanks for the advice on the shielded wire.

I went so far as to call Lexus to see if they would just do the diagnostics on resistance across the wire and tell me the location. They said they'd call back when they spoke to someone who knew what I was talking about. That was two weeks ago...

You have the TRD blower right?

Finding someone to chase down wire tracing will be purely labor. I'd suggest you get your hands on the EWD for your year, a DMM, and tiny hands. Got a kid to tempt with an allowance bonus?

I was going to say that. Buy the ewb. Download the whole thing on tis, takes a while, for 20 something.

So I ordered a 2004 EWD from ebay and received the 2003 EWD. I've sent an email but this would make a big difference correct? If they don't have the 2004 as advertised should I just send it back? they are very difficult to track down. @jerryb you said download from "tis". Is that a website? Didn't see anything when googling. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for any help

So I ordered a 2004 EWD from ebay and received the 2003 EWD. I've sent an email but this would make a big difference correct? If they don't have the 2004 as advertised should I just send it back? they are very difficult to track down. @jerryb you said download from "tis". Is that a website? Didn't see anything when googling. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for any help

Don't waste your time to track them down. File a dispute with PayPal and let them track you down. PayPal will give you your money back if seller don't contact you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom