Couple suspension questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CarcaineProblems

GOLD Star
Threads
New to 40s and I did a search, although I often wonder if I’m using the right terms 🤔. Contemplating some cosmetic changes to a 69 fj40 and suspension came to mind. Plan to run 16” steelies with 255/85 Yokohamas. More for looks, this will be a weekend rust bucket (over exaggeration) with the family.

1. The 4plus shock tower is 2” longer than stock and is recommended when a lift is used. Does it really make a difference for light use, gravel roads, but not much off roading? Will it help the day to day ride?

2. With the Dobinsons IMS 2” lift the choice is either standard load or heavier.
A.). If just a winch is up front, is that enough to warrant the heavier suspension?
B.). If a 4 plus swing out tire carrier is on the rear, with a larger tire, that would seem to justify the add a spring, correct?

I’ll take any additional unsolicited advice too, Thanks guys

Question 1: The extended shock towers are not necessary.

Question 2: I would talk to Dobinson's about the shock choice as they would have a better idea of which would work best for your application.

I run a OME lift on my '73 and went with lighter set as the V8 is lighter than the factory 6 so I felt even with an 8274 I'd be OK. I went with Rancho 9000 shocks as they are adjustable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom