Could This Be The Alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello eveyone. i have a scenario going on.

I noticed that as i am driving, for instance, if i accelerate the volt guage will rise. if i let off it will drop down to 12 volts. now what gets me is when i do accelerate, it will rise all the way to 18 volts. i have never seen taht before.

yesterday i went to start my car and it would start up. tried juming it and it wouldnt. (battery was completely dead) changed battery and jumped it and it started. but when i turned it off for about 2 minutes and tried it again, it had already drained the battery down to mid point on the volt guage and barely turned over. the last attempt would not even turn the motor over.

does that sound like the alternator?

onesikkruizer,
It would help us help you if you put on your sig how many miles you have on your vehicle and what year. From the symptoms of you problem, looks like your battery is no longer charging. If you have jump started it and it is not cranking then I believe it is the battery.

It sounds like you have a couple of problems going on. It also would be great to know Model and year, milage, how long you have owned it.
The volt meter should never be that high, it is a sign the Voltage regulator is bad. As for the battery you may also have problems. It may be time to have it tested with some equipement you do not have. Either get help from a friend or a club member, or buy the toyota service manual. later robbie

My voltmeter only shows those readings when my batteries are at the end of their lives. I have a 24 volt starter and need 2 batteries to start the engine. I doubt a 12 volt system should show such readings but even if it could, you changed your battery and it also lost charge ? You either put in a bad battery or you have very real electrical problems. No battery should lose it's charge that quickly unless it was already about dead.

Kalawang

well its a 92 with 201,720 miles on it. a wayz back i thought it was the starter. at one point the car would not turn over and would only "click" when turning the key. we took out the starter and checked it out. the starter was working fine. we placed it back it and it was working cool. (sometimes the starter repeats the same actions but its not very often. a little tap on it and its cool)

Recently though the starter did it again and when i tapped on it, it didnt make a difference. thats when i found out the battery was low. the voltage meter only started showing that rediculous reading of full voltage about a week ago, but since then when the car doesnt turn over its because the battery has no juice. I was thinking it was the alternator but i took a battery that i had in my pickup and put it in. (the battery in the pick up had been sitting there for 8 months, i had to jump that battery off of my supra)

Once i let the truck battery charge for about 5 minutes, i shut off my landcruiser and tried starting it up again. it turned over but not like if it had charged battery. i shut it off and waited 5 minutes, and tried it again. it was showing 8 volts on the guage, and wouldnt turn over at all.

i could go and buy a new battery and see what happens, but if that loses charge and the same symptoms occur( high voltage reading, starter seeming to need a tap on here and there, or battery drains) what could the possible problem be?

Ok.. ive found out what it is. its the alternator. its overcharging. so im curious, are there any other toyotas taht have the same alternator as the landcruiser?

we have a yard that carries alot of toyota vehicles, perhaps i can snatch up an alternator for 25.

any suggestions?

you can change the alternator brush. Do some search and you will see some threads on how to change the brushes.

OneSikKruizer said:
Ok.. ive found out what it is. its the alternator. its overcharging. so im curious, are there any other toyotas taht have the same alternator as the landcruiser?

we have a yard that carries alot of toyota vehicles, perhaps i can snatch up an alternator for 25.

any suggestions?

Sounds like the Voltage regulator is bad.

You will need to replace the Voltage regulator in the alternator, it is not the brushes if it is overchargeing. I beleive it can be replaced on one side of the alternator. No this alternator is not shared with anything else but a FJ62 or FJ 80. Both have 3FE engines, but I can not remember if they share the same output or not. Best to stick with the 91-92 FJ 80 alternator. It may be cheaper to have some one diagnosis it as the VR is over a hundred and does not come with the Rebuilt Toyota alternator. Good luck later robbie

thankx guys... i am going to take this one off and have one of the shops rebuild it for me. will cost about 80 bucks.. but i guess i have no choice.. thankx for the input guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom