cost of lifting GX470 with airbag delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

so I've been searching through the forums here and also the internet but can't seem to find good cost information for lifting the GX470 with a kit like OME/dobinson 2" kit with airbag delete(metal tech kit) at a shop. I live in NorCal and I've been quoted ~$3k for all parts labor and alignment. I understand that I can save a ton of money doing it myself, but I don't have space and currently time to do it, so I want to understand how much other people have paid to get it done professionally.

I've been working with a reputable shop here that specializes in land cruisers. From other owners that go to the shop, they are expensive but do a good job. I just want to understand if I'm just being ripped off or paying some premium for "expertise".

Thank you

I'm looking at a hair over $2k all in, located in SoCal.

I picked up an Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit with coilovers in the front for $1199 - on sale

Apache airbag delete $212 - on sale

KYB top stut mounts $60 ish on amazon

Quoted $550 for installation with alignment. This is a specialized shop that is known for lifting trucks. Since our lift is the same I did not opt for UCA's which cost another $100 in labor. From what I have seen, OME/Dobinsons run under or around the same as what I paid. Where is the extra $1k going?

New GX Owner here who is putting in his own Metal Tech conversion this week and lifting more next winter. From what I can tell raw parts cost is $1500 for Conversion + OME 2" lift. You stated you don't have the space/time to do it yourself so either be fine paying $1500 for labor and fit/finish or shop around knowing $2k is probably the cheapest you'll get to save the $1k. Good Luck!

Iron Man Nitro shocks front and rear
Iron Man “stock ride” springs Front and rear (netted about a 1.5-2.0” lift)
Iron Man UCAs
Both diffs serviced, and T case (royal purple).
Installed SAIS block off plates (I supplied parts).
$2200 installed by a small off-road and overlanding shop.

Edit...this price included the airbag-delete kit and installation, as well as an alignment.

Last edited:
I paid $1k cash for my ironman kit install (with airbag delete and UCA install) + $100 alignment at a seperate shop (this shop didnt have a rack)

Thanks for the reply guys. Going to see a breakdown before doing anything but all the information has been super helpful.

I paid $200 in labor to have a shop coil convert the rear including removing all the fuses, air bags, and height sensors. I supplied all the parts like non-resi Icon LT rear shocks, Dobinson LT variable rate rear springs, and MT stage 2 coil conversion kit. Only did rear.

I have a 3-year alignment deal with American Tires that cost me $200. And they have already done 3 alignments in the first year of the deal.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a hair over $2k all in, located in SoCal.

I picked up an Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit with coilovers in the front for $1199 - on sale

Apache airbag delete $212 - on sale

KYB top stut mounts $60 ish on amazon

Quoted $550 for installation with alignment. This is a specialized shop that is known for lifting trucks. Since our lift is the same I did not opt for UCA's which cost another $100 in labor. From what I have seen, OME/Dobinsons run under or around the same as what I paid. Where is the extra $1k going?

where’s a sale on fcp?

Here is a break down of what our shop charges for a lift install.

This estimate would be for something like a Toytec Boss kit that comes already assembled. If you get a Dobinson or OME kit, there will need to be additional time allotted to building the spring and shock assembly. If you get a kit that has resi's, that will take more time to install. A lot of times multiple parts compete for the same space on the truck (bumpers and reservoir mounts for example) and in that case we charge by the hour to figure out a solution that doesn't compromise the strength of the bumper and is a secure mount for the reservoir.

Estimate.PNG

Seems like all the more reason to do your own work. Most suspension installs I've done have needed minimal tools and just a bit of knuckle skin and f-bombs.

Eibach new kit came with coil conversion for about $810-850
Upper Control arm if you want to add $350-600
Install about $200-500
Alignment $60-120

This kit would be perfect for stock weigh vehicle.

@mexellent thanks for the details. Just curious why in Texas some labor has tax and other labor doesn’t. In California, no tax on labor.

Here is a break down of what our shop charges for a lift install.

This estimate would be for something like a Toytec Boss kit that comes already assembled. If you get a Dobinson or OME kit, there will need to be additional time allotted to building the spring and shock assembly. If you get a kit that has resi's, that will take more time to install. A lot of times multiple parts compete for the same space on the truck (bumpers and reservoir mounts for example) and in that case we charge by the hour to figure out a solution that doesn't compromise the strength of the bumper and is a secure mount for the reservoir.

View attachment 2190279

Based on what’s reported on this thread and my own experience, labor at a shop ranges from $500 to $1500 just to coil convert the rear and install non-resi pre-assembled front coil overs and non-resi rear shocks and springs.

UCAs labor ranges from $100 to $325 depending on the brand of UCA. I paid $180 when I did my TC UCA.

Alignment labor varies depending if it’s a one time job or a 3-year deal or a lifetime deal.

Seems like all the more reason to do your own work. Most suspension installs I've done have needed minimal tools and just a bit of knuckle skin and f-bombs.

Well if you want to tackle the job yourself or have someone do it for you is your choice to make. I think it really just depends on whether the person has the time and/or skill to do the job. If you can do your own work then more power to ya!

@mexellent thanks for the details. Just curious why in Texas some labor has tax and other labor doesn’t. In California, no tax on labor.

There is no tax on labor that's related to service. So for example, a timing belt job on a GX would carry no tax on the labor but something like a lift kit would. That's the way it is in Texas. I don't know what the laws are in California though.

I paid $200 in labor to have a shop coil convert the rear including removing all the fuses, air bags, and height sensors. I supplied all the parts like non-resi Icon LT rear shocks, Dobinson LT variable rate rear springs, and MT stage 2 coil conversion kit. Only did rear.

I have a 3-year alignment deal with American Tires that cost me $200. And they have already done 3 alignments in the first year of the deal.
Oredering the Dobinsons conversion kit with 2" front, 1.5 rear tomorrow! Can't stand my clapped out suspension any Longer. Going to have a shop do the work. What shop in So Cal did you use? Anything else I should have done while I'm at it? TIA :beer:

Get a 10mm rear spring spacer for the driver side. I got the OME150PR10. helps with the rear driver side lean.

Get two training hockey pucks from amazon at $3 each. These go on top of the MT coil conversion pucks. This lowers the distance from the Toyota isolators to the pucks. This compensates for the 2” lift over stock. This might help the rear spring compression rate when you flex that low.

I got these extra parts after the coil conversion, so now I’m going to do a project to install them myself.

My shop is in South El Monte near the 60 Fwy and Rosemead Blvd. Does that work for you? I’ll PM you the shop if it works

You’re in the LA area, right? If so, which shop did your coil convert? I’m in NE LA.

Miyaki Motorsports in South El Monte. Call for appointment. There was another well built GX470 in the shop when I went there. He has done many rear coil conversions on GX470s.

He did mine in about 70 minutes, but only did rear with non-resi rear shocks and variable rate springs. No issues with rust on mine, so everything came off easily and bolted back on easily.

I had also called 88Rotors because I watch their YouTube videos on lift installations and coil conversions on Toyota’s and GX470s, but to my surprise they didn’t want to touch long travel components. As soon as I said long travel he said we don’t do any long travel. So, you can try them too since you are doing standard travel. Look for them on YouTube and you’ll see a handful of GX470s coil conversions

A 3rd shop is RPM in Monrovia that specializes on off-road land cruisers, 4R, and GX470s. He seems very busy, but read good stories on his work on forums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom