Cooling circuit question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished plumbing the rubber hoses for the cooling circuits. There originally was a Y fitting at the center of the engine compartment. The inlet came from the head, and the outlets went to 1) the heater core and 2) back to the block on the drivers side. I did not reuse the Y fitting and capped the fitting on the block.

I'd like to think that I can shut off coolant flow to the heater core with the mechanical valve without causing any damage. I assume that the outlet from the head is just an accessory circuit and not a main one. Is the return line to the block used when the flow to the core is shut off? I don't want to shut off the valve to the core unless I'm sure that I won't cause a antifreeze flood.

I once saw a FJ40 with a coolant heater that could be plugged into a standard 120V outlet. Is this perhaps the reason for the extra hose?

Looking for some change...

3rd try...
(can I buy a clue from someone, where's the "Add a Picture browse" button?)

cooling.jpg

Pinion,
Yep. I've done it in the past (there used to be a option to add a pic under the "Notify of replies" and "Disable Smilies" options). &nbsp:Does a pic now have to be on a web page for me to post it? I must be missing something obvious. The picture describes the issue pretty well.

That tool is not available temporarily, see multiple discussions elsewhere.

I think I know what your saying. On early Cruisers there is a valve(or valves) which you can shut off to stop the flow of coolent to the heater. On valve is on the lower radiator outlet, the other(some don't have it) is on the back of the block(DS) So if this is what you caped off then its fine. I shut my heater off like this in the summer in the fj45.

John H

I just finished plumbing the rubber hoses for the cooling circuits.  There originally was a Y fitting at the center of the engine compartment.  The inlet came from the head, and the outlets went to 1) the heater core and 2) back to the block on the drivers side.  I did not reuse the Y fitting and capped the fitting on the block.

I'd like to think that I can shut off coolant flow to the heater core with the mechanical valve without causing any damage.  I assume that the outlet from the head is just an accessory circuit and not a main one.  Is the return line to the block used when the flow to the core is shut off?  I don't want to shut off the valve to the core unless I'm sure that I won't cause a antifreeze flood.

I once saw a FJ40 with a coolant heater that could be plugged into a standard 120V outlet.  Is this perhaps the reason for the extra hose?

Looking for some change...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom