Coolant leak from under truck????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working on the truck for a few weeks now. Last night I walked by and saw fluid drIp (just a couple of drops) start coming out from underneath.

This morning, there was a puddle. Very odd. I thought it was maybe water releasing from the channels or something.

When I touched it, I realized it was coolant. Then saw it coming from several places underneath.

What on earth??????? Any ideas?

tempImagetGunWk.jpg
tempImageypXlqn.jpg

Might be the rear heater loop. Hard to tell from the photos and my heater loop was gone when I bought my '97.

I believe the loop comes into the cab under the passenger seat.

Rear heater plumbing. Easiest solution is to delete the system.

You can bypass the rear heater lines up on the firewall by the heater control valve until you get time to do a real fix.

Since the drips are down by the cat, I'm pretty sure it is your rear heater hard lines rusted through. Very common.

Carnage pics from my rear heater line removal/triple bypass surgery. It leaked off and on and I didn’t realize where it was coming from. Betting that’s what you’re seeing as well.

DEEA54DC-851A-4CD5-99D5-9264472AF09A.jpeg

Ditto: get on your back under the cats and look up, the rear heater pipes run just under the floor and the section above the cat heat shields, as shown in the photo above, tends to go first.

Carnage pics from my rear heater line removal/triple bypass surgery. It leaked off and on and I didn’t realize where it was coming from. Betting that’s what you’re seeing as well.
I’m pretty sure the heat shields should have stayed with vehicle. How’s your passengers feet doing these days?

You can bypass the rear heater lines up on the firewall by the heater control valve until you get time to do a real fix.

Since the drips are down by the cat, I'm pretty sure it is your rear heater hard lines rusted through. Very common.
What does the real fix constitute? I will have to research the bypass.

What does the real fix constitute? I will have to research the bypass.
There is a hose you can buy that does the bypass. It's on here somewhere.

There are a few "fixes".
1) Buy new hard line assemblies from Toyota. Unfortunately, you must drop the transmission to install them.
2) Buy a fair amount of Gates Green Stripe hose (I forget what size) and go from the lines up by the heater valve and re-route the hoses around everything and snake them down to install on the rear heater.
3) There are new options being worked on with SS hard lines, but they are out there a ways before they will be up for sale.
4) Bypass the rear heater assembly "permanently" with a replacement hose that crosses over by the firewall and heater valve.

I’m pretty sure the heat shields should have stayed with vehicle. How’s your passengers feet doing these days?
Exhaust is routed entirely inside the frame now. Totally empty under the PS now.

I call "bull****" on the second video taking 15 minutes to bypass the rear heater. Maybe if you have the strength of a man and hands the size of a small child's, and 2 extra reversible elbows...

This has been an absolute bear to get to anything back there. First of all, the hose clamps are nearly impossible to get to. I went and bought some long needle nose pliers (straight ones AND 90 degree angle) to even be able to almost get to the squeeze clamps. Then the hoses were seized on the nipples with no way to grab and twist. I ended up cutting with a razor blade knife and peeling them off. Now I'm having a hell of a time trying to push the new hose over the nipple (drivers side into firewall), and my neck and shoulder hurt from all the contortion-ing. I am determined, and I WILL emerge triumphant, but this is a total bitch.

For others who haven't had the experience yet, as mentioned above, you don't want to tug and twist on the hoses that are stuck to the thin brass pipes going to the heater core because you will deform them. As others have discovered the old hoses need to be cut lengthwise with a razor blade or (easier to control) a pointy hobby type scalpel blade and peeled off carefully, IME.

Amazon product ASIN B07DRKZNP7

Last edited:
I ended up giving up on the "high end" red hose and bought 3 feet of regular 5/8 black heater hose. I lubed up with the same silicone paste I used to speed up my windows. They slid right on, and I was able to finish up fairly easily after that. Removing the heater selector thingy and the plastic whatever above that (removed 4 bolts from the firewall), and wedging them up out of the way was very helpful as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom