Coolant Consumption (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
I live in Nevada... The driest state in the Union. And I ain't talking about liquor. I've noticed my rig really sucks down coolant... Meaning I have to refill the tank about once every 2 mos. No puddles under the rig and no wet ares indicating some kind of leak. Does this sound like an issue to anyone? Especially interested to hear from the desert rats out there.....

That's not a *huge* amount depending on how much you're driving, but it's absolutely more than you could blame on evaporation.

Send your oil out for analysis. Blackstone lab.

X2. Oil analysis will provide cues of what's going on. Hope isn't the HG mate!
Good luck
Cheers

I had similar case as you, mine turned out to be a pin hole in the rad. that was loosing coolant where it couldn't be seen.

Best of luck.

Ugh. Ok, thanks guys.

Yeah, mate, I spent 3.5 years in Vegas, did not consume a quart of coolant in the entirety of my tenure.
You have a leak, either in the engine or out. Even small exterior leaks may not be visible but still go through a lot. Check for crustiness around all heater hoses and around the switching valve up at top middle of the fire wall. Check heater lines under truck going to rear heater. Check of milkiness in oil.

Guys- THANKS. Don't know about whether ALL of the hoses are OEM. Going on a bug hunt tonite....

One more thing on that heater switching valve - if you see crust around it, replace it. Does not need to be OEM if you want to save a few duckets. This was the source of the only leak I ever had, and it was very close to complete failure due to the plastic being 18 years old and very brittle.

Great tip- thanks man.

If it is a head gasket and you need to buy some time, try this: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=blue devil head gasket sealer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=25754289317&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17454293160623379752&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_f6i518odb_e

We had a company truck (Ford 5.4) burning about a gallon/week. We tried all the Bars Leak products with no luck. Poured in a bottle of the Blue Devil and it stopped burning AF within a day. It has been about 3 months and all has been fine. FYI, it is a clear water type product that looks nothing like the Bars Leak gunk and it works. How long? Only time will tell. I wouldn't recommend it for a long term fix but it will definitely buy you some time if the HG is failing.

Hey guys,

Circling back with the after-action. Took my rig into the shop today and discovered my radiator had a crack in it. No evidence of head gasket issues (thank the Lord!). Did a compression test that showed the following:

1) 125
2) 120
3) 120
4) 125
5) 125
6) 120

So, a little repair bill but pretty pleased the engine's looking good.

Thanks again everyone for your kind help and advice.

check out your rear heater lines.....I had the same issue and it turned out to be the rear lines.. I never saw any coolant on the floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom