Coolant Additive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pvcruisers.com
Hi Folks-

I'm trying to change out all the fluids on the BJ-70 I bought...

A friend told me I need to add an additive to the AntiFreeze when I use it in a Diesel Motor. I guess Ford recommends this, but thankfuly I don't drive a Ford :grinpimp: . Are people doing this on Toyota Diesels?

Thanks

Seth

Never heard of it. never used it. Never had a problem in either my BJ70 or my BJ74.

Nope, it has to do with the engine having coolant sleeves around the pistons, as I understand it. Something about detonation of the coolant drilling small holes through the block.

not an issue with toyota engines.

The Dude said:
Nope, it has to do with the engine having coolant sleeves around the pistons, as I understand it. Something about detonation of the coolant drilling small holes through the block. not an issue with toyota engines.

Correct from what I have gathered as well. It's a wet sleeve vs dry sleeve issue if I am recalling correctly from looking into this a number of years ago. The additive adds a sacrificial surface to the wet sleeve to reduce cavitation/detonation issues caused during the compression ignition stroke on a wet sleeved block.

hth's

gb

These additives are called Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's) and are required for wet sleeve designs. The SCA helps to prevent local pitting from cavitation which, over time will ruin your IH/Ford engine. The SCA "wets" the surface more efficiently and prevents the effects. As your pistons move up and down inside the cylinder, they do not do so in a completely linear fashion. Force vectors and such cause it to move somewhat side to side as it makes its way up and down in the cylinder. This sideways motion causes vibrations and hot spots that actually create localized boiling. The more pitting that occurs, the more cavitation will be suffered.

Wet sleeve designs must add SCA's at certain prescribed intervals else they lose their protection. It doesn't hurt to use such products in dry sleeve designs either--be they gas or diesel. There's a product called "Water Wetter" out there that will help give more efficient heat transfer all around the cooling system--the block, heater core, radiator, heat exchangers, etc. Use your own judgment here.

dieseldog said:
These additives are called Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's) and are required for wet sleeve designs.

Well said dd. Much better explaination then my recall attempt...

gbl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom