Cool Article by Land Cruiser Engineers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
Interesting piece. Hadn’t seen it before, but enjoyed reading the pride that the engineers have in their product. You don’t see this much by auto manufacturers.

Toyota QDR (Quality, Durability, Reliability). Nice acronym backed by real world experience. I’m half-Japanese with family who has worked for Toyota across generations—so a bit of a smile in reading this (plus “travel” with the military and seeing LCs in their habitat).

Last edited:
Yep, been much discussed and pointed out by many of us on this forum. The 250 is a 150 Light Duty Prado follow up and the GX variant the Lexus Prado based sister. It is totally obvious, not a 200 successor and no longer the ultimate King of All Roads. Apparently it is ok to sell low numbers of LX600's and not ok to sell low numbers of LC300's. The only thing they needed to do was bring in two or three trim levels of the LC300.

With the new 250 it is also pretty unclear what the new 4Runner will be. I would expect similar in size yet more offroad capable. As the 4Runner is being extensively used for that. Like to see the faces of the 250 fan club at that point. Makes sense as the Prado has always been the smaller cheaper around town line for Toyota.

150, GX and 250 series...
1710389924613.png

This is probably even more fitting...

1710390983247.png

Last edited:
Good article!

What I got out of it is clearly the 250 is not the successor of the 200, and that the 300 was held back by regulations and cost trade offs.
While that may be true, they clearly point out the 70/150/200 series sales in Australia are all about equal and all three need to be able to take the abuse of their roads and use cases and safely bring a driver home.

Great article. Wish it were longer. Thanks for posting that.

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing!

While that may be true, they clearly point out the 70/150/200 series sales in Australia are all about equal and all three need to be able to take the abuse of their roads and use cases and safely bring a driver home.

I wonder what the spread would be in the US if Toyota offered all three in all trims. I personally think it would come down to everyone buying most truck they could afford, with the exception of the 70 reserved for more specific tasks. I would also like to see UTE breakdown as well, as Australia doesn’t have the 1/2 ton pickup market like the US.

I wonder what the spread would be in the US if Toyota offered all three in all trims. I personally think it would come down to everyone buying most truck they could afford, with the exception of the 70 reserved for more specific tasks. I would also like to see UTE breakdown as well, as Australia doesn’t have the 1/2 ton pickup market like the US.
You can look at GX4xx and LC200+LX sales in the us to get a reasonable approximation I think. Or GX vs LX and 4R vs LC if you prefer.

"The major change for this 300 Series is how it feels to drive. I often describe it as ‘stress-free’. The Station Wagon-type Land Cruisers are certainly not small, but we have made this one even lighter than the 200 Series, with a lower center of gravity.

By doing so we were able to create a car that drives and handles like something that fits in the palm of your hand, whether on-road or off-road. I think that’s what sets the 300 Series apart."

This excerpt from the article is very much in line with my experience. I have both a 2015 570 and a 2023 600 and the difference in the way they feel and drive is astounding to me. Love them both but the 600 is really special.

"The major change for this 300 Series is how it feels to drive. I often describe it as ‘stress-free’. The Station Wagon-type Land Cruisers are certainly not small, but we have made this one even lighter than the 200 Series, with a lower center of gravity.

By doing so we were able to create a car that drives and handles like something that fits in the palm of your hand, whether on-road or off-road. I think that’s what sets the 300 Series apart."

This excerpt from the article is very much in line with my experience. I have both a 2015 570 and a 2023 600 and the difference in the way they feel and drive is astounding to me. Love them both but the 600 is really special.
I’ll run my HE 200 series into the ground until the 300 series is available in the U.S.

Given that will likely take years (if ever)—development will likely have addressed any teething pains.

Note: If the 300 series doesn’t come to the US, I’ll get another used 200 series.

Last edited:
I’ll stick with 200 series until the 300 series is available in the U.S.

Given that will likely take years (if ever)—development will likely have addressed any teething pains.
Along similar lines I plan:
- to keep my 2021 200 LC for a long time
- trade in for a 300 LC, if it ever comes to the US (seems unlikely from what we know today)
- potentially get a later model year LX 600 in say 10 years from now when my second car (BMW 535d) completely breaks down (been very good sofar and can do all smaller and bigger jobs myself with ISTA+) and modify with some good looking CBI front bumper to reduce the immense hour glass grill

Last edited:
I’ll run my HE 200 series into the ground until the 300 series is available in the U.S.

Note: If the 300 series doesn’t come to the US, I’ll get another used 200 series.
Your 200 series will last until the 400 series is released and beyond. Maybe Toyota will bring that truck to the USA and not under a Lexus badge.

Interesting piece. Hadn’t seen it before, but enjoyed reading the pride that the engineers have in their product. You don’t see this much by auto manufacturers.

Toyota QDR (Quality, Durability, Reliability). Nice acronym backed by real world experience. I’m half-Japanese with family who has worked for Toyota across generations—so a bit of a smile in reading this (plus “travel” with the military and seeing LCs in their habitat).

Thanks for posting. Great article. Looking forward to part 2.

“The 200 series is the strongest Land Cruiser ever produced by Toyota, a statement I heard straight from the mouth of the product engineer in Nagoya, Japan.”

BTW, the product engineer is the lead engineer for Land Cruiser development...Mr. Sadayoshi Koyari.

I wish the audio clip was still active but Mr. Koyari stated that components in LC200 is as strong if not stronger than LC70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom