Converting HDJ81 to 12v start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm going to attempt to put some lingering fears of being stranded by dead batteries to rest by converting my HDJ81 to 12v start.

According to Toyodiy, the 24volt starter for mine is p/n 28100-17020, 4.5kW, 12 teeth, and retail for a s***load of cash, approx $1000 +/- $200.

An hdj80 with a 12v starter (2.5kW) is p/n 28100-17010, 12 teeth also. They both seem to share the same housing and clutch assembly according to the part numbers.
And the 12v model retails for considerably less ($160 on 'da web).

The starter assembly appears to be readily available anywhere in the world in Toyota industrial applications, and Yanmar marine applications.

Cummins motor shares the same motor and solenoid apparently
There is info in the 70 section about a guy in Alaska with a pzj75 posting info awhile back.

If you do this I would like to buy your 24v stuff.

Jeff- I would increase the cross section of the primary start circuit to accommodate the increase in current, lose the 12/24 combiner and you are set..

Charging and isolating would use a blue seas product such as Blue seas systems #7611.

Too bad foreal, the 24 v stuff is mine...

I talked to Sheldon a while back about doing this (on an as needed basis for me), and he was up on what parts are needed, and what's involved. Might be worth a quick chat with him about it. He might have some of the parts too...

Actually I need to get in there for an alignment and tire rotation.

I talked to Sheldon a while back about doing this (on an as needed basis for me), and he was up on what parts are needed, and what's involved. Might be worth a quick chat with him about it. He might have some of the parts too...

X2, Mountaincruiser iirc who swapped a HDT into a FZJ put a 12v starter in and picked Sheldon's brain.

But 24v start is so cool n fast!

Yep damaged a tie rod end on that stump up Fossil Beach trail. But I also winched out 2 Land Rovers and did not get stuck or roll over. All this while not living in my parents basement even!

Since I just got new tires I think it makes sense to check the alignment...

I'd be excited if you found a cost effective way of doing this, I priced out the part at Lordco and it was around $600. At that price it's still cheaper to buy a little generator and bring a charger along on the more isolated journeys....

Well for "starters" (hah!), you priced things out at Lordco ;)

I do have a solar system already to keep things topped up on longer journeys, but I'm still paranoid. I had considered adding a 3rd battery in the back when I get around to making/buying a storage system in the back.

After doing the starter comparisons last night, this seems to be a great option to offset future costs if the 24v unit packed it in.

I'll probably be cursing this route if I ever make it to River Shiver, but in reality the times I could potentially use that extra power of 24v is nil to none.

What were you looking at that costs $600? The Blue Sea isolater Graham mention is only around $100. Starter is $160. Granted I know next to nothing about this and am relying on the knowledge of others, but that's way less than $600. I do have to buy new batteries, but I needed to do that anyways.

Is anyone else considering this, perhaps a group buy on starters?

Yep damaged a tie rod end on that stump up Fossil Beach trail. But I also winched out 2 Land Rovers and did not get stuck or roll over. All this while not living in my parents basement even!

Since I just got new tires I think it makes sense to check the alignment...

True,
Enjoying the coopers?

So I'm going to attempt to put some lingering fears of being stranded by dead batteries to rest by converting my HDJ81 to 12v start.

According to Toyodiy, the 24volt starter for mine is p/n 28100-17020, 4.5kW, 12 teeth, and retail for a s***load of cash, approx $1000 +/- $200.

An hdj80 with a 12v starter (2.5kW) is p/n 28100-17010, 12 teeth also. They both seem to share the same housing and clutch assembly according to the part numbers.
And the 12v model retails for considerably less ($160 on 'da web).

The starter assembly appears to be readily available anywhere in the world in Toyota industrial applications, and Yanmar marine applications.

for the 24v starter repair I have a way better option for you
if you want to do 12v start that's easy and cheap as well
call me Monday
I like you 81 guys, you think everything is expensive because you have shiny paint!!!

Search is your friend....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...ing-your-toyota-1hd-z-starter-24volt-12v.html

2LTE/3L starter... find someone with a blown one and get it, I'm sure John has a few kicking around... or 100$ from 'Murica

Looking at the EPC the 12V 1.4KW Spec are the "Semi Cold" units and the 12V 2.7KW are the Cold Spec units... Look as if they make a 3.0KW starter for the 1999+ HZJ's... prob could be done also.

Last edited:
Well for "starters" (hah!), you priced things out at Lordco ;)

I do have a solar system already to keep things topped up on longer journeys, but I'm still paranoid. I had considered adding a 3rd battery in the back when I get around to making/buying a storage system in the back.

After doing the starter comparisons last night, this seems to be a great option to offset future costs if the 24v unit packed it in.

I'll probably be cursing this route if I ever make it to River Shiver, but in reality the times I could potentially use that extra power of 24v is nil to none.

What were you looking at that costs $600? The Blue Sea isolater Graham mention is only around $100. Starter is $160. Granted I know next to nothing about this and am relying on the knowledge of others, but that's way less than $600. I do have to buy new batteries, but I needed to do that anyways.

Is anyone else considering this, perhaps a group buy on starters?

I priced out the starter sheldon posted the part number for in the diesel section, I believe it was from a north american toyota diesel.........I didn't pursue any further than that, I have a list of repairs that will happen before this one and I'm not too interested in doing any research but if someone did it, took pictures and tested it, I'm in!:p

I miss my shiny 80 :crybaby: and Toyota parts for 80s are usually expensive, especially locally.

Don't worry, Mine is used too
She's nice and pin striped
I unfortunately don't have sliders yet
I would really like to go some of the places you guys do.

mackenzie - bring your saw and fishin' rod.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom