Converting HDJ81 to 12v start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glenn I would love to go unfortunately my work season is smack in the time that you go.
Salmon work is quite seasonal, so I have to take what I can get.
At some point I would like to meet up with you guys and do something.

And it's done. I'd like to say it's pretty easy, only because I had Dr. Voo do it. If I had of touched it I would probably have a melted puddle of JDM in my driveway.

But for you more electrically inclined, it consists of getting a 2LT starter, replacing the nose cone with your HDJ 24v starter, and a Blue Sea isolater/relay to replace the 12 to 24v converter.

So for those two parts, your total should be under $200, minus any required wiring and other bits.

There is no "visible" difference in starting, it seems exactly the same as before. I suppose any real test would be some extended sub zero temperatures, but I am a very skinny white dude who trys to avoid that.

So now I can enjoy my picknicking with the fridge running full blast, margarita's mixing away off the inverter, and the puma airing up whatever I want when I want, with no fears.

And thanks to Sailor for the parts supply, and Dr. Voo for the fine work.

I actually cheaped out and used a BEP solenoid- same thing less cost...

Oh Karter- The Cooper STT are working out great- no regrets whatsoever.

Jeff sweet, keen to hear how it turns out.
With your Blue Sea switch you should be able to crank power from both batteries if I remember correctly right?

G, I am kinda bummed out that the STs only come in the 255/85/16 size. I am planning on new tires probably in June.

As for the starter.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/566807-my-fellow-americans-hzj75-pzj75-starter.html
You can use a cummins starter motor too.
Apparently Clint with the PZJ77 hybrid told me that you can use the nose cone off a V6 Toy Pickup and they were identical.

I am trying to track down a spare starter and alternator for a just in case incident.

But for you more electrically inclined, it consists of getting a 2LT starter, replacing the nose cone with your HDJ 24v starter, and a Blue Sea isolater/relay to replace the 12 to 24v converter.

Hey what was the reason for the 2LT starter? I am looking to do this also but before buying a 12v 1HD-T starter you now have me curious about the 2LT. Was it just cheaper or the guy that did it for you have it available at the time?

Hey what was the reason for the 2LT starter? I am looking to do this also but before buying a 12v 1HD-T starter you now have me curious about the 2LT. Was it just cheaper or the guy that did it for you have it available at the time?

I can't recall the reason, sorry. Perhaps because the 2LT is 12V and it just swaps in I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom