Converting 2L to run duel fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
With the current fuel prices, I've been seriously considering running veggie oil. Of course I live in the cold half the year so I can't swap just to veggie oil. So I was thinking of converting the truck the run dual fuel. I have another fuel tank that I can mount beside the current one, I can't imagine it would be that hard.

I made a quick plan. Basically run it on diesel until the truck has warmed up. Then switch to veggie oil. I can easily tie into my rear heater lines and run a small liquid/liquid heat exchanger. I can also route my exhaust to hug the veggie oil tank, possibly allowing the oil to heat up that way, maybe even running copper tubing in coils inside the tank. I found some cheap duel fuel tank selectors that are electric, so it's as simple as flipping a switch.

What are you're guy's opinions?

The truck is an 86' 4runner too.

The logic is sound. Years ago I had something similar running an isuzu c223 in a 85 toyota. Very crude and all manual valves. Used a heater core in a fuel tank to warm the oil via coolant. Last I heard the truck was still running. More recently fooling with a beater vw diesel I drove several months with just a 2 gallon fuel cell under the hood and would just switch the lines from the stock tank to the fuel cell. It's amazing what these old diesels will run on. Used transmission fluid, used motor oil, waste vegetable oil. BTW I also have an 81 toyota 2L diesel engine, like your 4runner.I haven't messed with alternative fuel in it, so I'll be watching!!

The logic is sound. Years ago I had something similar running an isuzu c223 in a 85 toyota. Very crude and all manual valves. Used a heater core in a fuel tank to warm the oil via coolant. Last I heard the truck was still running. More recently fooling with a beater vw diesel I drove several months with just a 2 gallon fuel cell under the hood and would just switch the lines from the stock tank to the fuel cell. It's amazing what these old diesels will run on. Used transmission fluid, used motor oil, waste vegetable oil. BTW I also have an 81 toyota 2L diesel engine, like your 4runner.I haven't messed with alternative fuel in it, so I'll be watching!!
Yeah it'll be cool for sure. When you did yours did the lines hold up at all? I heard biodiesel and veggie oil will eat through rubber. I did replaced the fuel lines, my only concern is the o-rings inside the injector pump going as it would be very expensive to find a rebuild kit.

I didn't have either long enough to speak for the longevity of the fuel line life. But I imagine fuel grade hose should last. The fear of injector pump issues is what keeps me from fooling with my current 2L setup. Rebuild or replacement would be difficult and costly. Most local shops wouldn't have a clue in my case.

I stopped doing it because I no longer have the time or the will or the ambition (to be reviewed ;) ) but previously, I added 20L of vegetable oil directly to my tank just before filling with diesel. I have already been up to 40L (my tank is 90L). I did this from May to mid-September.

I was more comfortable having a mix all the time than using B100 even alternately.

Hi there ive done a lot of veg conversions on surf,hiace,delica,ford powerstroke,landcruisers,you need a heated vegoil filter like the VM2 from planrdrive.com,otherwise the filter will restrict flow or pluggedup pretty quick,because its not hot enough esp in colder weather,you also need to heat the veg tank with some kind of coolant heater if you plan to drive in colder weather,but you are in kelowna whick is not as cold as winnipeg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom