Constant squeak coming from rear end of 06 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know the possible source of the sound inside the assembly?

I don't think anyone ever posted the whole thing before, so here you go.

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

These pictures were all taken with the parking brake / emergency brake / hand brake pulled all the way up. I drove through a bunch of heavy rain so there is a lot of crap splashed up on the undercarriage, but you probably get the point. This is what the bellcrank actually looks like in real life. I didn't understand how it worked, despite the diagrams in the manual. Basically the ebrake cable comes down in the center of the vehicle above the rear diff, and splits into two cables via some actuator thingy that is on the driver's side of the diff. Each cable then goes to the L and R wheel. There are some springs and a stopper on the bellcrank. You can barely see it in the first photo, but there is a huge rubber gasket thing where this assembly meets up with whatever is behind it.

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

Last edited:
thanks @Pyrenees for the deep dive, thats great info. Your rear sway bar looks alot healthier than mine.

In tonight's episode (think Top Gear intro), I could be found a) slowly rolling speed bumps in a state park b) crawling under my Cruiser in the dark c) muttering various profanities from under my Cruiser in the dark....only to again be surprised by how practical things like this can be sometimes.

So a new suggestion if you haven't tried this yet - back your rig up over something to get more back end clearance (in my case hung it over our sidewalk curb). Crawl underneath and 'bench press' against anything sturdy (such as the spare) just to get some movement (I was surprised how much movement I was able to create). See if you find the noise from there. In my case it was the effing rear shock top nut (driver's side) making noise, as originally pointed out be @re_guderian and commonly referred to as the #1 suspect in most strings on the subject. I was able to get my hand on top of it and verify the source while under the rig.

This is even further perplexing for me because I just replaced original shocks with OEM shocks and bushings, so I was thinking that I had eliminated the variable. I guess my guy didn't tighten them down enough. Or this is all one big coincidence and I have multiple things making noise down there. Lesson learned - don't eliminate a variable until you do it yourself.

U-brake use will help tranny stay out of shop (tranny paw wear)

When parking (especially on incline), put tranny in neutral, fully engage parking brake, take foot off brake pedal...cruiser should just move a little while parking brake engages, the put tranny in park.

This will ensure parking brake does not sieze do to disuse.

Checking back in on this one now that suns up and windows are down, and I look like a huge D because I still have the squeak issue...

@Pyrenees - did you ever end up getting it fixed, and what worked if so?

I'm also wondering if the sway/stabilizer bar links could be the source of the sound, anybody have any thoughts on that theory?

Its driving me NUTS! If there is nothing else I get right this year, I've gotta fix this...

Checking back in on this one now that suns up and windows are down, and I look like a huge D because I still have the squeak issue...

I'm also wondering if the sway/stabilizer bar links could be the source of the sound, anybody have any thoughts on that theory?

Its driving me NUTS! If there is nothing else I get right this year, I've gotta fix this...
Yeah I have an intermittent squeak that I am trying to figure out. But hard part is that it is intermittent. Can hit pot holes or seam in road and not have squeak but be driving down perfectly flat pavement and get a squeak?! Gonna start by spraying silicone lube around rubber items to see if that stops anything. Sounds a bit more like metal on metal squeak though to my ears.

I thought I had it fixed. Seems like the PO's did all the maintenance except for that this e-brake was really sloppy and barely worked. So I tightened it up and I thought that it took care of the problem, honestly. But then it came back. I still definitely think it is related to the e-brake rather than the suspension, because I originally diagnosed the issue by pulling up slightly on the e-brake handle before going over a bump and that took care of it.

In fact, I can vouch for it being unlikely to be a suspension issue for one reason: I swapped out the entire AHC system proactively when I was getting 7 grads on the hi/lo test and put a new stock LC suspension on it, straight from the Toyota dealer. The squeak over hard bumps remained. My money is on the e-brake still, but lately I'm pulling a landscape trailer that makes more noise than that, so I sorta don't care anymore, haha. But seriously, if anyone solves this I'll DIY it too.

I thought I had it fixed. Seems like the PO's did all the maintenance except for that this e-brake was really sloppy and barely worked. So I tightened it up and I thought that it took care of the problem, honestly. But then it came back. I still definitely think it is related to the e-brake rather than the suspension, because I originally diagnosed the issue by pulling up slightly on the e-brake handle before going over a bump and that took care of it.

In fact, I can vouch for it being unlikely to be a suspension issue for one reason: I swapped out the entire AHC system proactively when I was getting 7 grads on the hi/lo test and put a new stock LC suspension on it, straight from the Toyota dealer. The squeak over hard bumps remained. My money is on the e-brake still, but lately I'm pulling a landscape trailer that makes more noise than that, so I sorta don't care anymore, haha.

ok great feedback, thx! The FSM steps to service the e-brake are intimidating. Am I just being weak? How many bananas would you award this job...I'd give myself a 1.5 banana mechanic rating....is it in my wheelhouse? If not, is that stealership work or who?

ok great feedback, thx! The FSM steps to service the e-brake are intimidating. Am I just being weak? How many bananas would you award this job...I'd give myself a 1.5 banana mechanic rating....is it in my wheelhouse? If not, is that stealership work or who?

I did not follow the entire FSM procedure at the time because it involved taking the wheels off and adjusting some stuff from the brake drum, which I didn't have the time or ability to do back then (and I wasn't going to pay someone for something so simple) so I tightened up the ebrake lines using part of the FSM procedure. Since pulling on the ebrake slightly when going over the hard bumps seemed to help, that was the "easy" first step I took. It definitely helped make my e-brake actually work again, so that was nice.

Perhaps doing the full procedure from the FSM would permanently fix it. Or maybe there's something bouncing around in there. Either way, I didn't do a super deep-dive on the issue, especially since I thought I had it fixed initially.

I just encountered a frozen e-brake on a trail run over the weekend. Took a hammer to disengage the passenger e-brake because of the rust on the housing and mechanism. I am amazed tat how much force it took to disengage. Now I just have to remember not to use the ebrake until I fix it.

bringing this full circle for the good of humanity and future mudders trying to solve the same/similar issue(s):

This post: Chemistry and your parking brake bell cranks

This video:

These guys (for the rebuild bits/pieces/kit): Cruiser Outfitters

Sum total - this cost me 3 years of annoyance and sacrificed street credit (the squeak) slowly navigating towards the solution, the better part of a recent Saturday, $70 in parts, and a few beers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom