Considering a 1977 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

John here and am a new member from Virginia. I've been doing a lot of research and this forum which has been great help. I'm a member of numerous car forums and this is probably the best out there.

I currently have a lifted 98 Jeep Wrangler but she's going down the road and will be replaced with a 40. So, I'm considering purchasing an imported 1977 BJ40 with the B engine. I believe that this was an imported Costa Rica vehicle with a heater delete. It it legally titled in a US state so I won't have issues with registering it in my state.

I've done some vehicle restorations in the past and am aware of improper body work thats been concealed with a new paint job. However, if anyone has things worthy to note in my overall inspection, I'm not too proud to turn my head to good advise.

Overall, I'll take any information on these diesel trucks; good or bad. Just tell me what to look at and I'll be all over it. This vehicle was recently listed on eBay but didn't sell. I don't know if anyone viewed it but it was yellow and appeared to have mag style wheels. Not that I liked the look but I was going to do a full restoration to include body and paint.

I appreciate everyone's input.

John

The body side of things is best left to the 40/55 series forum, they are the experts on that.

In case you didn't know diesels can get real expensive, although B engines are probably one of the cheapest.
The easiest way to know if a diesel is good is to see a dead cold start. If its good it will start almost instantly and run smoothly with a flash of white grey smoke.
If it has bad compression on one or more cyls, it will run rough until the piston and rings expand enough to get compression and run smooth.
It will pump out huge clouds of grey smoke in rhythmic unison with the bad cyls
Most owners know this, so when they are selling, they will start and run it just before you come to inspect it.
Feel the exhaust manifold for warmth.
Blue smoke is another sign of a worn engine. Black smoke means the fuel is turned up or the injectors are not atomising it properly.

The body side of things is best left to the 40/55 series forum, they are the experts on that.

In case you didn't know diesels can get real expensive, although B engines are probably one of the cheapest.
The easiest way to know if a diesel is good is to see a dead cold start. If its good it will start almost instantly and run smoothly with a flash of white grey smoke.
If it has bad compression on one or more cyls, it will run rough until the piston and rings expand enough to get compression and run smooth.
It will pump out huge clouds of grey smoke in rhythmic unison with the bad cyls
Most owners know this, so when they are selling, they will start and run it just before you come to inspect it.
Feel the exhaust manifold for warmth.
Blue smoke is another sign of a worn engine. Black smoke means the fuel is turned up or the injectors are not atomising it properly.

Great information, thanks a bunch!

John,
I just bought the exact same truck, but from Japan. I live in Botswana so it was easier access plus the right hand drive.

I also have a 105 with a 4.2 1-HZ engine and had a Hilux 2.4 TD in Tanzania when we lived there. I love diesel for my trucks. You get a lot of torque at low RPM which is great for off-road. What you compromise is speed and acceleration, but if that's what you want you might need to reconsider getting a land cruiser (unless you go for the newer and very expensive models)

Please check the power system as mine is a 24V with dual battery in serial. Not a big deal, but it had its limitations and need to know what you can and cannot do.

The other issue is the front seats. I'm tall (6'4") and need to swap the front seats as they are not adjustable. The frame is fixed and above the gas tank on the passenger side. But this depends on your height and comfort.

As for the engine, I only drove it a bit and I was pleasantly surprised by the power. I had much less expectation. As Rosco said, watch out for smoke and its color. A healthy "puff" when you start is normal as long as it's gray.

I'm planning to do some minor body work and upgrades, but want to keep it mainly original. Happy to share if you have any questions.

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Thank you s much for the reply, great information and pictures. I can assure you that it's appreciated. It seems like every day, various models become available. Work has has me confined so it's hard to get out and travel to look at them. I'd love to have a diesel. Thanks again my friend. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom